Extremely Premature Olympic Team Predictions and Speculation

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Suni, Jade, Shilese, Jordan, and Konnor seem to me the team that makes the most sense if everyone is healthy, aside from the potential comebacks of Gabby and Simone.

VT: (Suni) Jordan, Shilese, Jade
UB: Jordan, Shilese, Suni (Jade)
BB: (Shilese) Jordan, Konnor, Suni
FX: Jade, Shilese, Jordan (Suni)

I don’t trust McClain’s health both physically and mentally to last to Paris.

I hope I am wrong, but I predict that McClain ends up being one of the gymnasts that ends up packing it in early before the Olympic process.

I wouldn’t be surprised if she does some elite this summer and then ends up heading to LSU in the fall and not even bother with 2024 elite.

Not at Junior Worlds if her coaches have any sense at all. She already won’t get full credit for the double layout, anything higher than that is pointless.

remind me what the limits are with the junior code? I searched online but couldn’t find anything easily. Thanks, FIG.

Revisiting this thread after Euros, Asian, African, and Oceania Championships, some World Cup events, and Pan-Am championships and after official announcements of deferring college or otherwise pursuing Paris. How are y’all’s predictions looking now?

I’m actually getting pretty stoked at the potential of the UB EFs next year. My not-so-wild prediction is some combo of Kaylia Nemour-Suni Lee-Nakamura Haruka. Luo could laidout Jaeger her way onto the podium, but her consistency is a crapshoot.

We shall see, there might be other deferrals. Finnegan might defer should se qualify to Paris, I mean, I would.
Malabuyo, if she wants to make a legit run at Paris would need to defer as well IMO because she will need to do AA and qualify via World Cup or Asian Champs (AA winner only) next year.

Vault final of:
Biles, Andrade, Chiles, Moreno, Yeo, Devillard, Godwin, and Black

Bars with:
Qiu, Wei, Listunova, Andrade, Jones, Lee, Derwael, D’Amato

Beam with:
Qiu, Tian, Biles, Lee, Listunova, Melnikova, Andrade, Ashikawa

Floor with:
Biles, Andrade, Melnikova, Listunova, Gadirova, Chiles, Saraiva, Voinea

I didn’t even include OY, Chuso, MDJDS, Barbosu, Kovacs, Wevers, Carey, Miyata, Watanabe, Seitz, Nakamura, ZQY, Visser, Ferrari, Downie, and so many more… Will be stacked, even if RUS isn’t there

Last edited:
yikes, that was a big oversight…can’t rely on memory and Wikipedia of previous competitions. I sub D’Amato for Nemour

Kaylia Nemour unfortunately won’t be at the Olympics, the French fed is planning an assassination.

I agree with the implication that a Biles return could quite likely edge out Jade Carey, but I’d love to see Konnor McClain perform at her best to make the US team and a beam final (over one of her two teammates you listed). Beyond that, I don’t find Melnikova or Andrade to be particularly memorable on beam so I would love for some unique gymnasts with high-13 scoring potential to get to finals, someone like Sanne Wevers or Pauline Schaefer.

Melnikova’s new set (with round-off layout, without ring jump or sideways split jump 1/2) is very competitive. With a strict pen, I had this at 8.5 E (2A) and her D score is 5.9

I’m struggling to find a near-perfect, recent routine of Andrade’s. The thing Andrade and Melnikova have going for them is that they have very few built in deductions and not a lot of risk. Their form is pristine and the most deductions should come from pauses, for cleanly executed routines. Melnikova relies on very few connections, too

Wow, that’s stock in terms of skills, but a GREAT set overall. Except for the side somie and the awkward prep for the dismount, there’s very little to complain about. I can see why the Russian judges gave that a 9.0.

Yeah, Melnikova’s inconsistent but once her skill selection improved, there weren’t a lot of built in deductions. It’s never been too surprising when she’s fallen, but the execution is great.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back