Chusovitina will attempt to qualify to Paris 2024, would be her 9th Olympics!

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

I’m so disappointed in the tumbling these days from the average elite. Like some of these floor routines wouldn’t have been competitive in 1996.

Last edited:
I guess it goes back to the consensus of ROI rewards coming back to the CoP. A double back is a D and a full-in is an E. Do you do the full-in and land with your chest on your knees and incur the landing deduction that ends up making it worth less than the double back or do a textbook double back to nuke the deduction but your routine doesn’t have that oomph factor (especially when most gymnasts don’t have the dance training or charisma to sell an FX routine that doesn’t have the big wow skills)?

Skinner’s elite career has shown that being a Chucky McGee with big skills won’t necessarily pay off in big scores and medals. Skinner ended up a glorified alternate in Tokyo and it took a wild series of events we’ll unlikely see again that got her an Olympic medal when she was otherwise going home empty-handed. Meanwhile, the Olympic AA champion took out an entire pass in her FX routine to reduce her deductions and take advantage of her competitor’s landing deductions.

Skinner’s whole approach would also not have got her an Olympic silver medal on any other event. She benefitted from Chengs in particular being scored with a different pen to easier vaults, and there isn’t an equivalent of that on the other three events.

I don’t want more Skinners, but besides Simone, Jade Carey, and some others, I just miss floor routines that had like two passes of difficult double saltos and a twisting combination with a back 2 1/2 or a front double full. It’s back 1 1/2s and double tucks that piss me off.

Last edited:
Also true. I need to go back and find her E-scores in Tokyo qualifications. I just remember that the best beam routine of her elite career was a 7.133, but it wasn’t as packed with difficulty as her FX. And even then, she didn’t place high enough to replace Simone in EFs.
I don’t want more Skinners, but besides Simone, Jade Carey, and some others, I just miss floor routines that had like two passes of difficult double saltos and a twisting combination with a back 2 1/2 or a front double full. It’s back 1 1/2s and double tucks that piss me off.
They have to reward ROI combo passes in a way that makes it worthwhile :woman_shrugging:t5: Connecting skills whether direct or indirect only get a .1 or .2 bonus. Ellie Black used to perform an indirect 2½ to 3/1, but that got only .2 bonus. Nastia’s front 1/1 to front 2/1 (direct), also a .2 bonus. I would also like to see front tumbling rewarded and see bounders like Podkopayeva. I wonder if elite gymnasts today can even do those.

Also true. I need to go back and find her E-scores in Tokyo qualifications. I just remember that the best beam routine of her elite career was a 7.133, but it wasn’t as packed with difficulty as her FX. And even then, she didn’t place high enough to replace Simone in EFs.
It’s interesting, when you think how surprising Tokyo as a whole was, there was nothing about Skinner’s performance or scoring that wasn’t completely predictable. We all knew well in advance that she’d hit everything, would be on 15ish max for her best vaults and that the execution scores on the other events wouldn’t come close to being replicated. There is absolutely zero about those specific factors that wasn’t communally called, months in advance. Quite a contrast to all the confident predictions that ended up completely shredded!

Chuso just won vault, as well as team silver at the Islamic Games.
Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 5.54.19 PM

Chusovitina won the Uzbek AA title today.

The first article wrongly says she's not done AA internationally since 2019, but some interesting information about the performance. She did a Tkatchev! And her AA total was 49.2. No sign of any videos thus far, so we aren't in a position to assess the degree of home cooking. Looks like she doesn't intend to give up on Paris without a fight, though.

As a reminder, these are the AA results from the Asian Games last year.

Winning a National AA title 2 months away from your 49th birthday is pretty amazing. She's essentially 50.

And while I was sad to see her not vaulting her go-to handspring front full and tsuk 1.5, vaulting the same two vaults (handspring pike front half and tsuk full) she used to win a medal at the 91 Worlds - 33 years later - is damn impressive.

Also, both those vaults have a 10.0 SV in NCAA :) Sometimes, I just need a little perspective to remind myself what she's doing.

It'll be interesting to see if she attempts AA at Doha, as per the roster. Since she evidently intends to give the continental qualifier route a whirl, it would make sense to get her whole programme in front of international judges again.

Last edited:
We do in fact have her floor from Uzbek nationals- I missed it earlier. This is from 6th April.

There's also insta footage of the Tkatchev in training. Not the competitive routine, and no dismount.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Latest posts

Back