American Classic 2024

American Classic 2024

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Hey, I'm one of the Sammy Sunshines that was putting her on my team, cuz let's be honest, other than Simone and Shilese, the gymnasts last year were looking rough and no juniors were making a splash. Jordan and Jade were regressing, Josc's raw form is not ideal, Wong was a bit boring, Blakely not boring enough, and DiCello couldn't seem to get out of a rut. Any new-old blood in the mix is a good thing.

And over-optimism seemed a better reaction than "she's faking a comeback" (which was really an odd stance to take if you think about it. If your parents run the gym and coach you for free, maybe "faking" it is doable, but who pays a ton of money to pretend for a year and a half? And puts up with Valeri? Could she have underestimated the difficulty in getting her abilities competition ready or overestimated her chances, sure but the "faking" it storyline never made sense to me since she wasn't filming a reality show about it or otherwise capitalizing on it. And I don't think she is such good friends with Simone that she can count on an invite to the tour)

Last edited:
I'm not gonna pretend I've studiously sat through every floor Jade has ever done, but that routine actually felt like it could pass as "dance" way more than her past routines.
She is not a natural dancer and will never be one of the best, but you are right. I've noticed that throughout her career actually. She clearly wants to improve that aspect of her gymnastics and has put in the work to get better over the years. That's one thing I love about her.

Okay, so Douglas (arm goals) and Carey (I love that she hasn't fallen into the college spray tan trap) and their vaults. Carey definitely had more distance but also bigger landing deductions. Douglas' wasn't stuck but a much smaller, in control hop than Carey. Where did the .2 difference come in, judges? I'm not great at speed form deductions but both looked pretty straight to me.

Desmond's locked knee made me go "owww..." but she walked off so, yay?

Here is a video showing what Gabby may have been credited with on FX.

I don't know if it's what the judges actually did. But it shows how Gabby got from a 5.4 intended D-Score to the 5.0 D she received.

Stupid composition making it so her downgrades on both the Gogean and the Ferrari turn the skill into a split leap full (repeated element, no credit).

I'm not so harsh on her dance element choices other than the Gogean which almost no one should even be attempting... Memmel turns I think are a bit of a crapshoot, I'm sure she gets it around time to time. The Ferrari is obviously a no go, and for strategic reasons she should be aiming for the 1/2 turn version instead of the full turn which I believe is also a D, would not overlap with another skill when it gets downgraded, and possibly even gives her more air time to do it with the creditable technique (I mean is she even aware that a back arch is required here, cuz she didn't seem to be even attempting one...?)
What's funny is that leap is probably the most beautiful of her entire routine -- love the oversplit -- it just unfortunately happens to not exist in the code the way she's doing it..

Okay, so Douglas (arm goals) and Carey (I love that she hasn't fallen into the college spray tan trap) and their vaults. Carey definitely had more distance but also bigger landing deductions. Douglas' wasn't stuck but a much smaller, in control hop than Carey. Where did the .2 difference come in, judges? I'm not great at speed form deductions but both looked pretty straight to me.

Desmond's locked knee made me go "owww..." but she walked off so, yay?
Jade has more height, and Gabby has a slight unecessary pike down (I imagine she was darn well going to get that landing, so help her, and that's why she did that here)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back