American Classic 2024

American Classic 2024

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Agreed, but she will want to not fall at US Classic to erase any doubt that this meet was just to get out the rust and jitters. Any further falls will harm her looking at the selection process.

Reddit says she got the three-event score. She's through.

ETA: others here are saying she just got the two-event score, so maybe my info is bad? Not sure.
If my math is correct, she got 39.2 VT+UB+BB. Three event score is 39 IIRC so yes.

If Gabby has a Cheng, that will help. I do think there's not enough time for her to get where she needs to be to make Paris, though she has improved rapidly before. The competition is intense.

What would be Gabby's beam potential if she put back her back full and the switch leap mount? I wonder if she played it safe on beam to get the 3-event score.

Still waiting on Chloe Cho's floor score to see if she qualified, but here is who made it today.

Nicole Desmond
Gabby Douglas (VT/UB/BB)
Tatum Drusch
Cambry Haynes (VT/BB/FX)
Suni Lee (VT/BB)
Myli Lew
Malea Milton
Brooke Pierson
Ashlee Sullivan
Brynn Torry (VT/FX)

Carey, Christian, Fatta, A Milton, Molomo, Neal, Roberson & Williams previously qualified

Am Classic top.jpg

Top 8 minus Tatum Drusch in 6th who isn't in this picture for some reason.

I like Metroplex's leo. GAGE wearing the same leo from Winter Cup.

Concerning that Gabby can't hit a bars routine this close to Paris. She doesn't have the luxury of "the pieces are there" and "a good first meet back." (Which I've seen all over Twitter). She needs to be hitting lights out every time. This doesn't sound like competition nerves, this sounds like can't hit this routine, period.

In general, the skill selection is concerning. Valeri isn't known for his smarts with the code, and he has her doing dance skills that are more likely than not to be downgraded. Why? Just stupid stupid stupid.

Concerning that Gabby can't hit a bars routine this close to Paris. She doesn't have the luxury of "the pieces are there" and "a good first meet back." (Which I've seen all over Twitter). She needs to be hitting lights out every time. This doesn't sound like competition nerves, this sounds like can't hit this routine, period.

In general, the skill selection is concerning. Valeri isn't known for his smarts with the code, and he has her doing dance skills that are more likely than not to be downgraded. Why? Just stupid stupid stupid.

Exactly!
She is not on my radar. She is not where she needs to be. It's good that she finally competed her routines but she is not at the level her fans were so sure she would be. There are very few who could live up to their, frankly, unrealistic expectations.
I will say her presentation on floor has greatly improved.

Here is a video showing what Gabby may have been credited with on FX.

I don't know if it's what the judges actually did. But it shows how Gabby got from a 5.4 intended D-Score to the 5.0 D she received.

Stupid composition making it so her downgrades on both the Gogean and the Ferrari turn the skill into a split leap full (repeated element, no credit).

Last edited:
Chloe Cho scored 12.30 on floor, so a 51.05 and and qualified to nationals.

Junior Pan Am team was also named:
Isabella Anzola
Addy Fulcher
Gabrielle Hardie
Camie Westerman
Alt: Aly Damelia

I’m still of the mind that if there was ever a gymnast not to count out, it’s Gabby. Realistically, if the Cheng materializes and the bar routine is consistent, she jumpy to the top of the list. Crazier things have happened…

I’d still put her on that list of 11 with a shot, even if she’s at the bottom of the pile. The American Classic has never been a part of the traditional elite season for the major contenders, so I’m also willing to be somewhat more forgiving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob
Great start for Gabby. Good score for 3 falls. If she puts it all together at the next one she will be in contention for trials at least. Really really pleased for her and she looks in fabulous shape.

Exactly!
She is not on my radar. She is not where she needs to be. It's good that she finally competed her routines but she is not at the level her fans were so sure she would be. There are very few who could live up to their, frankly, unrealistic expectations.
I will say her presentation on floor has greatly improved.
There's definitely been a lot of optimism, excitement and goodwill towards Gabby since she announced her comeback. This sounds like fiction though.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back