2024 Winter Cup

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Sounds like Suni was only able to get back into the gym on a consistent basis quite recently. She claims her kidney issue is now in remission (although semi-weekly infusions and daily medications sounds more like it's unde4r control, not in remission, but idk)
I keep thinking that the odds of her kidneys allowing her to train enough hours to be consistent in the summer are pretty low. But in 2021 I thought her ankle would never let her do all around so . . . 🤷‍♂️

I hope her health improves enough that she can show strong bars and beam routines this summer.

I keep thinking that the odds of her kidneys allowing her to train enough hours to be consistent in the summer are pretty low. But in 2021 I thought her ankle would never let her do all around so . . . 🤷‍♂️

I hope her health improves enough that she can show strong bars and beam routines this summer.
Lol, I've underestimated Suni enough times now to know better.

The problem is no one (publicly at least) actually knows what her condition is, which makes her durability anyone's guess. Her half-transparent half-opaque is perplexing though.
"She revealed her diagnosis off the record to SELF but has decided to keep it private for now as her doctors believe the diagnosis could change upon additional testing."

^ Even that rationale just doesn't really make sense to me. It could change, but so what? Surely she's had numerous tests at this point. Yes, I know, I know, internet scolds -- her choice obviously but like... the illness is being used as the lede for numerous media interviews that her publicity team is booking her for... I had Rhabdomyolysis from overtraining as a gymnast... I guess that could be construed as a negative toward her coaches? But IDK. I'll stop guessing!

Anyhow, hers is the most exciting comeback since -- well, since Simone -- so I can't wait for Saturday! And I think I'm even more excited to see her beam than bars. :love:

Sucks that Gabby is going to miss the meet but better to be careful with covid.

I'm guessing that by not competing, she won't be eligible for an international assignment like she was planning?

Mmmmhmmm
Was anyone else expecting something to suddenly come up with Gabby or was it just me?
I stand firm that I will believe it when I see it.
I did because because it’s never simple with her, even when she succeeds in the end, but it would be pretty crazy for her to lie about having Covid. If she was not ready, an actual injury was surely an easier excuse

Trinity is unsure if she will do vault and floor.

Tiana Sumanasekera wasn't seen at podium training, so she's likely out.

Kaliya Lincoln only doing beam and floor.

Is that an intended 5.9 D score for beam and 5.8 for bars for Trinity? Pretty legit.

Last edited:
And video of Suni's bars

I really hope her skill gets awarded an H. I suppose a G would not be criminal to match the Def, but an H also feels fair if you look at gymnastics across all the apparatus and consider that this is unprecedented and would garner the same bonus as the relatively pedestrian Silivas on floor now. I even think the Def could stand for an upgrade as well, in acknowledgment of the fact that it (like the presumptive 'Lee') are not nearly as prone to subsequent connection bonus as any of the reverse hecht variations that have been invented in the past 10 years.

It's hard to concoct a routine that actually gets Suni up to a super competitive D score (partly thanks to my point about connections) which is a shame, because it feels like in-bar stalders are the secret weapon right now, and while they're obviously super challenging, they just don't have the same wow factor as really any same-bar release skill.

I saw the video on YT but I'm not sure if it's the whole routine, she only has 6 skills

She said in an interview that she's just doing the "Lee" and the second half of her routine because her goal is get it it named.

She's counting an A and B in that current routine. She's got enough difficulty that she's still at a 5.6 I think.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back