2024 Oceania Championships- Olympic qualification

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

ArnoldRimmer

Defender
Happened this weekend. Only Australia and New Zealand attended.

Jesse Moore of Australia won the men's with 80.332, and takes the Olympic qualifying spot. Clay Mason-Stephens 2nd, Heath 3rd. Less than a point in it with the top three, as apparently Jesse fell off high bar twice.

For the women, Emma Nedov won with 51.231, the only one to break 50. Kate Sayer was 2nd, and Isabella Brett 3rd. That gives her the continental spot, but as we know, NZ don't automatically send qualified athletes to the Olympics.

Thinking about Brett's chances, she has finished top 16 in a global international competition once. 12th on beam in Doha. But that was the only time, so it seems like a very long shot here. She got 47.932 AA here, which is a point lower than any other continental qualifier, usual caveats about comparing scores at different competitions apply. And also a point lower than any worlds AA qualifier.

So... we wait, but it doesn't seem likely that NZ WAG will be able to accept the spot.

Last edited:
I believe it was discussed before that the Oceania spot might be reallocated, possibly to Erika Pinxten.
I wonder if they compare scores from continentals? If so, then Aida Bauyrzhanova scored exactly 1.0 point higher than Erika.

Well done Jesse! The high bar falls made it tense at the end but I'm go glad he held on. He's the best MAG gymnast of the region, with the highest potential, so it's great he is the one going.

Obviously you cant compare scores at different meets but if he can hit 6/6 in qualification, he's got the score potential to make the AA final in Paris which would be a huge accomplishment for an Aussie MAG.

I believe it was discussed before that the Oceania spot might be reallocated, possibly to Erika Pinxten.
I wonder if they compare scores from continentals? If so, then Aida Bauyrzhanova scored exactly 1.0 point higher than Erika.
The procedures don't address what happens if a continental spot goes unfilled. The basis for the Pinxten assumption is that the next eligible athlete at worlds would be the most straightforward choice. I think it's a week or two now before all federations have to formally confirm etc? So that doesn't leave much time for anything more complex.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back