2024 Chinese National Championships + Trials

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Depending on the team makeup, Simone could potentially get 2-per'd out of UB/BB finals.
The way scoring has gone at previous Worlds, I fully expect Biles to be the top qualifier for the U.S. on beam. Perhaps Suni will be, but I expect those 2 to make it if they are clean. Which will suck for Shilese and presumably Skye.

The women's Olympic training squad has arrived in Tianjin.

Team China - 2024 Olympic Training Squad.png

From left to right:
Luo Huan, Yu Linmin, Huang Zhuofan, Du Siyu, Zhang Yihan, Qiu Qiyuan, Ou Yushan, Zhang Jin, Zhang Qingying, and Zhou Yaqin.

Qiu Qiyuan VT - 13.100
Qiu Qiyuan UB - 14.466
Qiu Qiyuan BB - 15.166
Qiu Qiyuan FX - 13.566

1st AA 56.298

Last edited:
1. Qiu Qiyuan - 56.298
2. Ou Yushan - 54.132
3. Luo Huan - can't find her VT score to get her AA but she's 3rd (or she tied for 2nd with OYS)

A lot of people fell on UB. Du Siyu, Zhang Yihan, Zhang Qingying

Some scores from Tieba:

Vault
Zhang Yihan -
Du Siyu - 13.866
Zhang Qingying - 13.733
Yu Linmin - 13.266
Qiu Qiyuan - 13.100
Ou Yushan - 12.966

Uneven Bars
Qiu Qiyuan - 14.466
Luo Huan - 14.100
Ou Yushan - 13.700
Huang Zhuofan - 13.533
Zhang Jin - 13.333
Zhang Yihan - 12.733
Du Siyu - 12.666
Zhang Qingying - 11.400

Balance Beam
Qiu Qiyuan - 15.166
Ou Yushan - 14.233
Luo Huan - 14.166
Zhou Yaqin - 14.133
Du Siyu - 12.700
Zhang Qingying - 12.666
Zhang Jin - 12.200
Zhang Yihan - 11.833

Floor Exercise
Qiu Qiyuan - 13.566
Zhang Yihan - 13.300
Ou Yushan - 13.233
Zhou Yaqin - 12.966
Zhang Qingying - 12.866
Luo Huan - 12.766
Zhang Jin - 12.333

^ That's not all the scores, I think some were being missed when the feed was going off and on.

Zhou Yaqin only competed BB/FX, she's already named to the team.
Huang Zhuofan only did VT/UB
Yu Linmin only did VT/FX

Everyone else did AA

Closer up highlight clips here, including QQY's beam mount sequence:

体操光年 says Zhou Yaqin hasn't recovered yet from the flu, that's why she was not at full strength today.

Last edited:
Zhang Qingying's vault came true! Well, that knocks Ou Yushan off the team for me then. She isn't putting up big numbers on floor anymore and Zhang can outscore her on beam already. It's not a good look Zhang had a beam failure today, but she was trying to do AA again for the first time in awhile, I'd be comfortable with her in a team final where she only has to focus on vault+beam.

Zhang Qingying's vault came true! Well, that knocks Ou Yushan off the team for me then. She isn't putting up big numbers on floor anymore and Zhang can outscore her on beam already. It's not a good look Zhang had a beam failure today, but she was trying to do AA again for the first time in awhile, I'd be comfortable with her in a team final where she only has to focus on vault+beam.
Ou Yushan is absolutely on the team. Zhang Qingying is an alternate at best.

"Luo Huan, 2024 Olympian" has a lovely ring to it.

For what? She's not adding to the team's potential score anywhere (she can't even beat Zhang Yihan on floor anymore) and they can't afford to the leave the higher scoring vaults at home.
She can bring in a decent AA score, which is really important as a plan B

For what? She's not adding to the team's potential score anywhere (she can't even beat Zhang Yihan on floor anymore) and they can't afford to the leave the higher scoring vaults at home.

If you’re bringing someone just to vault, Du Siyu’s DTY gets bigger air.

China needs hit routines on every event more than they need the tenths on vault though. Last year they had 3 low vaults. They had all hit routines counting in Prelims and finished 3rd. They counted two falls in TF and lost the bronze by .9 tenths. Just one less fall would have had them over France. Replicating their 165.663 from Prelims would have had them in silver over Brazil!

That was with using 4.4, 4.4, 4.2 VTs. This year they will have Zhang Yihan's DTT, that vault alone upgrades the total. The most important thing is NOT FALLING on the other events.

It would be nice if this was Worlds, they could bring both OYS and ZQY and just decide after podium training who to make alternate based on who's hitting then. The decision has to be made now though, and OYS is who is hitting now. Zhang Qingying almost killed herself on UB yesterday, fell on BB, and isn't usable on FX. She's only still in the conversation because she recovered her rudi. This news clip shows better how they landed the vaults, she barely got it to her feet:
Zhang Qingying's UB

My team is Qiu Qiyuan, Zhou Yaqin, Zhang Yihan, Ou Yushan, Luo Huan. I'd love a big VT rotation, but I don't take risks, I want the stability. Even this team is riskier than I'd like.

Last edited:
An excellent write up on China MAG selection by @zhangbohengs on Twitter.

Nice to see multiple gymnasts performing E-level double saltos and some 5.0+ D score vaults!

If you’re bringing someone just to vault, Du Siyu’s DTY gets bigger air.
I don't have context other than the twitter clips above, but to me that DTY wasn't 5 tenths better executed than the rudi. That 8.333 E-score seems questionable...

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back