2024 Chinese National Championships + Trials

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’m confused. I thought it was the athletes, or Chinese people generally who disliked the use of abbreviations.

Secret code?!
No, I don't know what gave you that idea. The athletes don't seem to mind the abbreviations, and Chinese fans also use them on Baidu and other social media sites.

So the athletes don't mind the abbreviations? That who I thought I was offending. So it is just a handful of fans that don't like it?

So the athletes don't mind the abbreviations? That who I thought I was offending. So it is just a handful of fans that don't like it?
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my earlier post. That's correct--it's just a handful of fans. As far as I know, the athletes themselves don't mind. They're probably more upset when U.S. and European commentators and announcers butcher the pronunciation of their names (cf. QQY in Antwerp '23).

Last edited:
Twitter. Who needs them!

Idiot Wow GIF by SWR3

I thought the initials were a clever way to help people remember the Chinese names.

And Angelina Melnikova, I assumed, had the nickname Gelya.

Last edited:
Twitter. Who needs them!

Idiot Wow GIF by SWR3

I thought the initials were a clever way to help people remember the Chinese names.

She does, but to use Gelya on its own is way too familiar. Gelya Melnikova yes you can probably get away with, but even then it’s more something that people who know her would use. It just sounds so out of place, because it just isn’t her name.

Twitter. Who needs them!

Idiot Wow GIF by SWR3

You would think. But people who don't speak, read, or write Chinese took it very much to heart. Because it's just SO HARD to figure out that OYS = Ou Yushan.

I think it's funny when people care what happens on Twitter and adjust their lives accordingly.

Initials are fine... for anyone, for that matter. We've used all kinds of initialism over the years. Most recently, in addition for Chinese athletes, MDJDS, KJC, KZB...

Some fans like to use cutesy diminutives for their favorite gymnasts. I feel that's a little odd, maybe even creepy sometimes. I do think an exception is when it's meant to be ironic and funny... like DonDon (which some people call him because he's built like a house).

I think it's funny when people care what happens on Twitter and adjust their lives accordingly.

Initials are fine... for anyone, for that matter. We've used all kinds of initialism over the years. Most recently, in addition for Chinese athletes, MDJDS, KJC, KZB...

Some fans like to use cutesy diminutives for their favorite gymnasts. I feel that's a little odd, maybe even creepy sometimes. I do think an exception is when it's meant to be ironic and funny... like DonDon (which some people call him because he's built like a house).
Additionally, there is an issue with calling asian (or just Chinese?) gymnasts by their given name only? Because we talk about Simone or Jordan or Eythora all the time and aren't being asked to use their family name too (or instead).

I also think that Chuso is a good diminutive cuz it means I don't have to accidentally misspell her name but everyone knows who you are talking about.

Additionally, there is an issue with calling asian (or just Chinese?) gymnasts by their given name only? Because we talk about Simone or Jordan or Eythora all the time and aren't being asked to use their family name too (or instead).

I also think that Chuso is a good diminutive cuz it means I don't have to accidentally misspell her name but everyone knows who you are talking about.
Chuso has reportedly stated that she prefers Chusa, and the people of reddit will have a fit if someone uses Chuso, so really you can't win with gymnast names and the internet.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back