2023 World Junior Gymnastic Artistic Championships (3/29-4/2, Antalya, Turkiye)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yikes. Watch a surprise gymnast stay on all events and take the title by default, I guess

Probably an Italian gymnast if the beam isn’t greased like it was in qualifications.

I noticed in pictures from qualifying that Jayla’s knee was wrapped; it wasn’t at Winter Cup.

At this rate, if the others have falls and Hang hits her next 3 she could win. Especially if she can nail her DTY for a 14.

FIG might want to rethink when this event takes place. It is still early in the season for these juniors.
Maybe March isn’t the ideal month to have the meet take place. Might be a reason for these falls.

Yamaguchi nails TF out of her UB routine. Very precise and a stuck double tuck dismount. Though I see she’s adopted the Russian orphan ½ handstand.

OOB first pass for Jemima Taylor and stumbles on her final pass. She’s got stage presence, though. Took a page out of the Gadirova book with that.

Last edited:
I wish they’d treat Junior Worlds like the senior championships. Is there really a need to shove the competitions together like that and not give the gymnasts a chance to rest? EFs are tomorrow and Sunday, too.

Near stick for Hang on her DTY and it rockets her back into the lead for the moment.

JK!!!
Caterina Gaddi of ITA on top with a 13.366 on bars almost a point above Hang now.

Yang Ko-Wen of Taiwan is the gymnast who replaced Stassi. And she’s off after overshooting her Pak. She has a Markelov. Haven’t seen one of those in a minute. Falls on a handstand. Sticks her landing.

There wasn’t a separate AA final last time. The FIG have trouble finding hosts for these events as it is without adding extra days so if they wanted an AA final this minimises the time and cost.

The FIG needs to start providing incentives to encourage host cities. They’re having issues finding hosts for the senior Worlds which is why it tends to be the same five cities over and over again.

The Czechia gymnast had a very wobbly beam routine and fell on a LOSO.

Japan’s been coming through on UB. Nakamura with a Deltchev; stumbles on her full-in dismount. I really hope this has meant that Murakami Mai’s successes has Japan investing more in their WAG program. It’s nice to see them become medal contenders.

As with everything the trouble is money. Just taking this event, I don’t see many sponsors, clearly no one has paid for the broadcast rights and I’m sure I saw that even this fairly small crowd had free entry, the FIG and Turkish federation are probably covering most of the costs themselves.

Might be an incentive for federations to really start cracking down on the abuses within. Hard for companies to want to sponsor competitions when one of the superpower teams had a massive sex abuse scandal and the cracks in other federations have started to show with gymnasts coming out with their stories. It’ll end up killing the sport for good if they can’t even hold competitions other than the Olympics.

Yamaguchi putting herself back in the game, albeit with a wobbly beam set. I have yet to see a gymnast here do a switch split leap mount without wobbling.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back