Defender
Monday, January 30SCORESSTREAM
6:00pm ET/
3:00pm PTRutgers @ Penn StateLINK
Wednesday, February 1SCORESSTREAM
3:00pm PTGeorge Washington @ TowsonLINK

Last edited:
Important mid-196 for Penn State. Last season a 196.140 NQS missed regionals. 38 teams have broken 196 in January, surely that’ll be the case this season. The bubble for regionals this year is going to be big and competitive. I wouldn’t be surprised if a mid 196 NQS was the cutoff. There’s a lot of teams who could go 196.5 one day and 193 the next.

Ball St has a 196.55 and a 196.3 already. Breaking 196 is starting to feel urgent for teams like SJSU, Iowa St, and CMU who were top 36 in preseason. I think it’ll be tough to make top 36 counting a 195 in your NQS. Nothing set in stone yet, but some teams only have 1-2 throwaway meets before the 196s become critical. Watching how that progresses will be fascinating even though the scores will rarely correspond to reality. On that note, thc makes ncaa gymnastics far easier to watch as a fan since I can’t be bothered to be upset at the scoring.

Last edited:
I absolutely think it will take a 196.3ish to even make regionals and a 196.6ish score to not have to do play in.
Realistically there are four tiers of teams.
The 198ers. Those that can go 198 and can compete for a national championship.
The 197ers, make a regional super final and either fail to advance to nationals, or advance to nationals with no chance of making finals.
The 196ers, who are trying to make it to regionals.
Everyone else…who are just trying their best to move up the rankings.

Of course these tiers are broken into highs and lows.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the rankings once we move into NQS instead of averages.
Right now Maryland is just below a 196 average in 26th position with a 195.908 average.
So top 25 all have 196 or higher average score.

However, below 25th place multiple teams have a 196 score already.
26th-36th spot are: Maryland, North Carolina, Arizona, Penn State, Towson, Ball State, Nebraska
Those that don’t are: Kent State, San Jose State, Boise State, and George Washington (who are ranked 33-36).
Interestingly enough, six teams ranked below 36th due to average have a 196 in the bank.
Teams like: West Virginia, BYU, Rutgers, UC Davis, SEMO, and Lindenwood all have a 196!

Lindenwood is currently ranked 52nd due to average with a 193.710. They have a low 191.425 they want to drop. But other than the 196, they have two 193s and a mid 194. So they have potential to move up the rankings if they can replicate a few more 196s, especially on the road, since the 196 was a road score and can count toward NQS.

But yeah, it will be interesting to see the shuffle come NQS time and the urgency to get those bankable scores as soon as possible, so as not to run into needing them last minute or at a conference championship.

Friday

3:00pm PT [10] Kentucky @ [14] Missouri SECN
7:00pm ET/
4:00pm PT [3] Michigan, Southern Connecticut, Fisk @ Rutgers LINK BTN+
4:00pm PT West Virginia @ Pitt ACC+
4:00pm PT Eastern Michigan @ Central Michigan LINK ESPN3
4:00pm PT Hamline, Winona State @ Stout LINK FREE
7:30pm ET/
4:30pm PT [6] Auburn @ [11] Alabama SECN
7:30pm ET/
4:30pm PT Oshkosh @ La Crosse LINK FREE
8:00pm ET/
5:00pm PT [2] Florida @ [18] Arkansas LINK SEC+
5:00pm PT Iowa State @ [1] Oklahoma LINK ESPN+
5:00pm PT Bowling Green, Centenary @ Illinois State LINK ESPN+
5:00pm PT Sacramento State @ Air Force
9:00pm ET/
6:00pm PT [5] UCLA @ [4] Utah LINK ESPN2
6:00pm PT [17] Georgia @ [9] LSU LINK SECN
6:00pm PT Utah State @ Boise State LINK FREE
6:00pm PT BYU @ [22] Southern Utah LINK ESPN+
11:00pm ET/
8:00pm PT William & Mary @ Alaska LINK FREE

Saturday
2:00pm ET/
11:00am PT Kent State, Simpson @ Northern Illinois FREE
4:00pm ET/
1:00pm PT [12] Oregon State @ [25] Washington P12
1:00pm PT North Carolina, Western Michigan @ [23] NC State ACC+
5:00pm ET/
2:00pm PT [21] Arizona State @ [7] Cal LINK P12
2:00pm PT [20] Illinois @ [19] Minnesota LINK BTN+
2:00pm PT Eau Claire @ Whitewater FREE
4:00pm PT Penn State @ [13] Michigan State LINK BTN+
6:00pm PT Arizona @ [24] Stanford LINK P12I

Sunday

12:00pm ET/
9:00am PT Brockport, Rhode Island @ Cortland LINK FREE
1:00pm ET/
10:00am PT Temple @ Yale LINK ESPN+
10:00am PT Penn @ Cornell ESPN+
10:00am PT Southern Connecticut @ Brown LINK
10:00am PT West Chester @ Ursinus FREE
10:00am PT Ithaca @ Springfield FREE
11:00am PT Maryland @ [15] Ohio State LINK BTN+
11:00am PT Cententary, Greenville @ Lindenwood ESPN+
3:00pm ET/
12:00pm PT Iowa State, New Hampshire @ TWU TWU ($)
1:00pm PT George Washington, Pitt, Air Force @ [8] Denver LINK DU ($)
2:00pm PT San Jose State @ UC Davis
3:00pm PT William & Mary @ Alaska LINK FREE

Oh wow tonight is STACKED. Guess I know what I’ll be doing tomorrow morning when it’s -30 outside.

Lots of good meets but the meet of the week has to be UCLA vs Utah.

Honors for meet of the week: UGA vs LSU (UGA is better than 17th and LSU is not as good as 9th IMO)
and also Kentucky vs Missouri should be a fantastic meet.

Last edited:
UGA is better than 17th and LSU is not as good as 9th IMO
Agreed.

I’m slightly bummed that UCLA vs. Utah won’t be on Pac12, because that means I’ll have to wait for it to show up on YouTube. On the other hand, it’ll be nice not to have to listen to chatterbox Watson.

Utah/UCLA is definitely the most realistic of tonight’s meets, but 9.975 for McCallum on BB made no sense to me. I don’t know how one judge went 10 with the short split jump and floppy feet. Jail for the judges who scored her and Eaker the same.

ETA: Having said it was more realistic, Padurariu just went 9.75 with a major bend at the hips lol

Last edited:
Scoring was…questionable in multiple meets tonight. Started off with some crazytown scores with Missouri-Kentuky and its like every judge in the country said “Hold my beer!”

When Alabama hit the beam it was like “er, is the fix in?” cuz those seemed like very generous scores, especially for the ones that had an obvious mistake or two…

The Alabama scoring was egregious, by far the worst of the season (so far). Waligora had very visible errors on floor and she was first up. She got a 9.925, the same score Suni and Derrian got with almost perfect routines.

Last edited:
No, the only way to get ESPN here (Canada) is via a cable subscription, and life is just too expensive for that shit.

It’s been loaded to YouTube though. 🙂

I had the opposite issue last week with the UCLA vs. Oregon meet. I don’t get PAC12 on FiOS (though we get pretty much every other sports channel), but we do have ESPN2

Pittsburgh is a team we don;t normally hear about, but they have improved drastically in the last few years.
They are hosting regionals this year, so the team goal is to qualify top 36 so they can compete as a full team at home regionals.
They just scored 196.550 against West Virginia, which is the highest team score in history.
They join Kentucky, Arkansas both of whom put up a team high score this season.

Anyone know what’s up with Morgan Price? She’s only competed UB the past two weekends.

What are the expenses involved in hiring judges for a meet? I feel like the regular season would really benefit from a larger judging panel, enough at least to be able to drop high/low, but I imagine that would be cost-prohibitive for a lot of schools, plus the supply of qualified judges might make it unfeasible, not sure on the numbers

But, really, there has to be something the NCAA can do about home-cooking. The national rankings are kinda pointless when judging is so inconsistent meet-to-meet, conference-to-conference.

But, really, there has to be something the NCAA can do about home-cooking. The national rankings are kinda pointless when judging is so inconsistent meet-to-meet, conference-to-conference.
I don’t understand why they have the coaches rate the judges. It’s such a perverse incentive. Why not have other judges do blind reviews of the scores instead?

Especially when you have judges giving a 10.0 and a 9.850 to the same routine. That is inexcusable.
The Alabama floor judging was laughable. Waligora was up first and got a 10.0 fro one judge. This was with obvious deductions clearly not taken. The first pass alone has at least .1 if not .2 from it. That 9.925 in the lead off was what helped Alabama to a 49.7 on floor, which as nice as Alabama is on that event, realistically not doable unless judges were actively helping to boost the score. Of course, they tried to cover it by giving Suni Lee 2 10s of her own.
Luisa Blanco is a gorgeous gymnast, but her beam was not 10.0 either. I would have gone 9.900 myself. She had a check on her flight series that wouldn’t make anything above a 9.950 feasible.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back