2023 NCAA Nationals (April 13 &15)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

They could! Not something I would have predicted 3-4 weeks ago.

Been a long time since I’ve wanted Utah to win, but here we are. I know people are sentimental about Trinity and want a team title.for her, but Florida just doesn’t do it for me.

I’m not sold on Florida being a contender at this point. Unless chaos.

Every event winner came from session 2. Yes, the overall quality of gymnastics was better, but you can’t tell me it doesn’t matter what session you draw into.

I’m off to bed with my tired old butt. G’night!

Vault
*1. Olivia Troutman, OU, 9.950
2. Lynnzee Brown, Denver, 9.9250
2. Courtney Blackson, Boise, 9.9250

Bars
*1. Jordan Chiles, UCLA, 10.000
2. Luisa Blanco, Bama, 9.950
2. Abby Heiskell, Michigan, 9.950
2. Grace McCallum, Utah, 9.950
2. Maile O’Keefe, Utah, 9.950
2. Trinity Thomas, UF, 9.950

Beam
*1. Maile O’Keefe, Utah, 10.000
2. Jade Carey, OSU, 9.9625
2. Cristal Isa, Utah, 9.9625

Floor
*1. Jordan Chiles, UCLA, 9.9875
2. Aleah Finnegan, LSU, 9.9625
2. Leanne Wong UF, 9.9625

All Around
*1. Maile O’Keefe, Utah, 39.7625
2. Jordan Chiles, UCLA, 39.7125
3. Haleigh Bryant, LSU, 39.6875

Last edited:
So sad that UCLA misses the Final, and with a 197.9+ that’s even harder to swallow.

I want Utah to win Saturday, but I have a pechant for predictions, and my prediction is that OU will win. 😦

They will be hungry after losing tonight and will have something to prove. Some of the pressure will be off them.

Utah, on the other hand, will feel the pressure of being number one and will feel they have something to lose.

Additionally, OU has more room for improvement.

I am really hoping that I’m wrong and that every single Utah gymnast sees an opportunity they are hungry for rather than something they have to live up to.

Last edited:
Maile O’Keefe has now won UB, BB, and FX at NCAAs. Magically getting a 10.0 SV vault and winning VT next year would give her the slam that Kyla Ross and Courtney Kupets accomplished, winning all 4 events over an NCAA career.

And of course Maile also won AA. Only Kupets has won AA and all 4 events if I’m not mistaken regarding Jenny Hansen missing one of the four event titles.

Last edited:
irichluck21, what’s your prediction for who will win the NCAA team title out of the four who made it: Utah, OU, LSU, UF?
Oklahoma. But Utah is going to keep it close.
Florida just doesn’t have it without Thomas unfortunately. Hoping they keep it close though.

Will Thomas get 10s on vault and bars to break the record? She needs both unless she magically does beam.

At this point they need to eliminate individual champions all together.

It is clear that in order to win an event you have to be in the 2nd session, and that you have to come near the end of the line up near the end of the competition.

It is also clear that if you are an AAer in the first session you are screwed.

I really wish they would make nationals two weekends and have event finals again and a separate all around final. A separate AA competition would be absolutely incredible but would never happen.

Top 12 AAers and individual events by NQS qualify as well as the top 3 from each regional, not already qualified by NQS.

I’m very happy with the 4 teams that made it through. UCLA’s vaults were not good enough last night and as far as the two sessions go, it’s luck of the draw.

I would like to see Utah win, as they seem like the most complete team. Florida and LSU can do much better than they did yesterday, though I think it will be difficult for them to win outright. That all being said, I don’t dislike OU like many do.

Even if they lumped event finals in with all around finals, it wouldnt be much longer than a regular meet if you took the top 8 EF and sprinkled them in with the AA athletes as there is usually overlap.

If they’re going to stick with this (awful) format, just get rid of individual titles entirely.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back