2022 World Gymnastics Championships Team Qualifications (Saturday 10/29 SD 1&2- Sunday 10/30 SD 3-10)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Have you ever done any performing art yourself? Try singing a song while being told half the notes and lyrics are banned, and that you will be massively penalized for not hitting every remaining note with one specific kind of timing. The gymnasts are not able to approach the routine from an organic place, as a result of the excessive constraints being placed upon them and knowing the crazy deductions that can happen.
Gymnastics is also a competitive sport and if scores that win still manage to hurt your feelings, maybe you are not a competitor. And that’s fine, but that’s how sports is. Some winning scores vary wildly in other sports, too. One week an NBA team will get 84, another week 122. The win is what goes down in print.

And shifting from beam, floor routines are better than they have been for a while. Last night’s team final had PLENTY of entertainment value, regardless of scores. The audience had a great time.

I think beam ist still horrible because there is so much focus on hard combinations. We hardly see single elements anymore and if we do, they are the ones that could potentially be connected to something. Where are the front tucks, Arabians and Onodis? I would like to see CV for triple series connnecting A dance/acro elements to C+ acro/dance. I’m thinking of series such as back walkover/Valdez- bhs- lso. Or switch leap mount - split leap - sissone or cartwheel- bhs- lso. OR add some other incentive for doing A elements…maybe “mastery of simple elements” 0.1/0.3

The Front Aerial + Split + Straddle is frequently .1 form on all of those skills, plus .1 rhythm between each skill
Ok, name another series getting D+2+ the dance CR + the front salto CR, which doesnt incur a similar amount of deductions.

You’re nitpicking from the sidelines again, without offering any realistic or workable alternative.

Last edited:
I already accounted for those deductions in the 8.8
You didn’t though? You said most gymnasts can do Bhs + LOSO + LOSO with no deduction and that’s just not what is happening; it’s more like .1 form on each LOSO and a .1 balance at the end. The BHS Mount will likely get both form and balance. You gave just one rhythm deduction for the Front aerial + split + straddle when they’ve been hitting both connections lately. The dismount is prone to .1 low chest as well. I also don’t think judges would give this routine only .1 artistry deduction.

In the end we’re looking at a routine that can easily just be 8.0 execution and still has a fall risk (double LOSO series) and is still prone to losing .2 CV.

The routines similar to this that gymnasts are already doing have an A mount and then a different D skill in the routine, which is mostly the same thing in the end because these nothing mounts aren’t getting deducted, and then they also have a Switch Split in the routine - the easiest C skill in book and generally not losing more than .1, which ends up being the same in the end as the routine you’ve suggested.
The coaches make the routines, so it is about them. I don’t understand what isn’t clicking. I never said do watered down routines. I said do your best difficulty that is clean and make it consistent and confident.
Coaches are not the ones performing.

It’s not possible to “do your best difficulty and make it consistent” in a way the judging won’t still irrationally deduct. Since this “best difficulty” is also inherently twisted around what the code demands, instead of what the gymnast would prefer to do or potentially could do if allowed to develop their artistic voice, it means we see routines that end up looking artificial instead of coming from the gymnast’s own inner self.

You’ve also completely ignored the point about the scoring system being inherently unbalanced. We should be collectively fighting and lobbying FIG to change things. That is what’s important. Not sitting around like slaves to a broken system and just taking it.

Also, gymnasts should intimately understand the code for themself and be capable of deciding on skills and routine construction for themselves. Coaches can teach and give feedback but ideally it shouldn’t be all on them. Personally I taught myself several skills, and came up with my own program ideas, and did much of the choreography myself.
shifting from beam, floor routines are better than they have been for a while. Last night’s team final had PLENTY of entertainment value, regardless of scores.
Not a single routine was on the level of Hernandez or Khorkina or Ohashi or the many routines that used to have tons of flair and freedom. The goal of a properly crafted scoring system should be to promote and reward routines of that nature. There have been significant flaws in the floor code and judging that impede artistry ever since 2001, but since 2017 many of these code issues are at an all-time worst state.

Now, in this regard, I would say coaching has a more important role to play. The routines clearly are not being worked on as much as they should be. The sense of putting on a show and needing to do something truly artistic has been significantly diminished, and little details like lifting the head before acro lines has been lost. Still, the reason for many of these problems is the artistry doesn’t get judged properly, and the athletes are constantly worried about “corner choreography” and pause deductions, and moving into executing their elements in the robotic manner demanded by the system.

Does this mean Jen goes 7th and Jess goes 8th up in FX EF?

What a way to finish in front of a home crowd!

Yes and some on twitter are already calling it a conspiracy :roll_eyes:

I have a lot of people muted on twitter, but it is handy sometimes for finding streams and such!

Melnikova’s got a perfect free walkover + split jump + straddle jump, unless you ding her for bent knee on the free walkover like a sadist

It’s my first time seeing this. Wow, the international judges REALLY like Skye and I’m not mad at it!

I hadn’t seen Flavia’s vault from TQ before. She knew she fucked her foot with that landing. Poor thing.

And then she went onto bars, and here’s the flyaway:

Last edited:
Thorsdottir was in absolutely gorgeous form.

6.366E with two falls.

And again on floor:

A 7.266E with probably 1.3 off just on the punch front fall.

The judges absolutely loved her.

Last edited:
Melanie - until the inbar half, I was at 0.4 off. I ended the routine with 1.7 off (she got an 8.1).

Can someone tell these French and Italians that these forward giant 1/1s are NEVER worth it?!

I personally prefer them to the majority of requisite backward swinging full pirouette skills being performed. I think they’re quite elegant for most of the gymnasts (obviously not this particular performance by Melanie) and someone incurring a .1 or .3 angle deduction doesn’t ruin it for me by any means.

I just find it frustrating to get through half the routine with 0.5 off, and then I see her higgins roll and I just go 3. 3. 3. 3

it’s so annoying to judge lol

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back