2022 World Gymnastics Championships Team Qualifications (Saturday 10/29 SD 1&2- Sunday 10/30 SD 3-10)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

She was taken off on a stretcher but I havent heard anything further.

It was in my videos i’m watching from “liveinparis” and luckily it had “(injury)” in the title so I knew to skip. poor thing

This was SO GOOD. I was at 1.3 before the dismount. Took 1 for legs on the 2.5, then 3 for amplitude and 10 for the fall, for a 7.3E. No artistry off.

You could have given an 8.1 E Score to the routines from #2 to #24 and you would have been perfectly within range except for one routine - Barbosu:

Last edited:
You could have given an 8.1 E Score to the routines from #2 to #24 and you would have been perfectly within range except for one routine
So 8.1 is the new 8.8 is what you’re saying?

I lurve this. 8.1 for you

13.9 being the top Beam score at Worlds is so disheartening. The rules must change. People watered their routines down massively this year because of the insane judging and that’s still not helping much with the E-scores, since it’s become even more insane. “Regress for Success” is not what should be happening.

The problem isn’t just on the technical front either, it’s the entire way people are moving on the Beam. They are so scared up there, going through checklists robotically, instead of doing an actual routine. Look at all the confident, expressive gymnasts of the past. Why do we have none now? It’s not because there’s a lack of talent.

Also, have you seen said 13.9 routine? It’s certainly not a beacon of light in this dreary dreary world

Last edited:
Right? That routine isn’t even fit to qualify top 13 at the 2008 Olympics, much less be the best in the world.

13.9 being the top Beam score at Worlds is so disheartening. The rules must change. People watered their routines down massively this year because of the insane judging and that’s still not helping much with the E-scores, since it’s become even more insane. “Regress for Success” is not what should be happening.

The problem isn’t just on the technical front either, it’s the entire way people are moving on the Beam. They are so scared up there, going through checklists robotically, instead of doing an actual routine. Look at all the confident, expressive gymnasts of the past. Why do we have none now? It’s not because there’s a lack of talent.
I don’t think this is the fault of the code at all.

I can’t speak for the coaches themselves, but it seems this is the after affect of the big difficulty shift of the 90’s. A lot of these coaches were early in their careers or hadn’t even started coaching then, and in the 00’s it was all about adding difficulty and packing in as much as you could possibly do. And now coaches seem to still be in the mindset despite the watering down. The gymnasts still aren’t working comfortably as a whole.

Last edited:
Reactions: L_R
2008 saw an incredible amount of difficulty in Beam routines though, and the athletes were still performing with style and confidence and organic movement. Nastia’s routine is heralded as one of the most beautiful ever. I think the problem is very much the judging. When everyone is worrying about getting dinged for slow connections, preparations for acro, and all kinds of form deductions, it removes the focus from being able to perform freely. It’s like having a bully constantly harassing you or an oppressive parent constantly adding toxicity to your life.

That’s the coaches’ faults then. Why would you be worried about getting dinged for everything if you’re coaching your athletes to do confident beam? They’re not competing for scores anymore, they’re competing for placements. If the scores are breaking them down, it sounds like someone didn’t do their jobs. Go out there and WIN. Compete to the best of your ability in a way that somewhat resembles what the code is asking for any you’ll be fine.

Simone got a beam medal at the Olympics with a score in the 7’s. It really doesn’t matter anymore.

2008 coaching was still carrying over from the 80’s and 90’s. It’s good that things are changing in terms of taking care of athletes, but it seems anxiety is on a high. Maybe that’s also COVID related.

Last edited:
I guess Flavia is still iffy for finals.

Apparently some best ever or best for a very long time placements for some of the minor nations:

Of course in the new format Taiwan were guaranteed their best ever finish just by qualifying, and Egypt after Romania pulled out leaving only 23 teams.

I literally just scrolled past where someone posted it on twitter. Click to see the names in comments

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back