2022 World Gymnastics Championships MAG Qualifications (Monday 10/31)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I haven’t seen enough routines to pick one.
Where Is It Kyle Mooney GIF by Saturday Night Live

Am I the only one that finds his round off technique to be a bit wonky? Yulo does something similar and it drives me insane.

Last edited:
Yes. It is almost one handed. The second hand is so delayed and kind of skewed when it touches down. Very odd looking.

And so does the entire Japanese team. And some of the Chinese guys now.

It’s a thing going around. They’re doing it on purpose to create more block so they don’t have to set with their arms and can initiate twist sooner.

(I dislike it.)

How does that work? I’m trying to figure that out in my head, but my brain has turned to liquid, and the NyQuil is not helping.

Maybe due to short exercise? If the elements are not met to technical specification can they be given no DV, therefore he maybe only had seven counting VP, thus a short exercise 3,0?

There were so many shonky round offs at worlds. Jarman was another offender. Several gymnasts were twisting well off the diagonal as well. They would RO to one side to compensate for massive twisting travel.

<not impressed that I couldn’t find a not impressed gif for this post!>

Last edited:
That’s crazy. Do kips not count as elements in MAG?

Surely he didn’t miss out 3 whole elements? Which elements didn’t meet the requirements?

He didn’t get over the bar on his Adlers - no credit. With all the mistakes in the routine he left must have left out other skills too, so even when counting giants it’s only 7 skills.

@FrolovasDoubleLayout is right. (As usual. LOL.)

That routine was score this way:
  • Kip + cast is a single element in MAG. Kip isn’t an element.
  • Stalders, Endos, Weilers, and Jams that don’t go over the bar get –0.3 AND don’t get credit. That’s a rule change this year and it mostly punishes guys going for the HS. It’s a ruthless, counterproductive rule.
  • 3.0 neutral deduction for counting only 7 elements. (Counting only 8 is totally fine. Counting 7 is 3.0 off, 6 is 4.0 off, etc. Drastic drop from 8 to 7.)
This is yet another example of how stupid the Code of Points can get. If he had done an extra kip cast, he would have gotten 3.1 points higher. Absurd.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back