2022 NCAA Team Previews/Preseason Discussion (check for ongoing team updates)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

As Spencer pointed out in his preview, Durante was axed after her 5th season, with better results than anything Kupets has achieved…

I look forward to seeing georgia’s bar lineup going 49.5 at home 🤣
Truth about Durante but there was a lot more going on behind that.
  1. Suzanne was at odds with her.
  2. UGA wanted a UGA alumni, Durante was a Sun Devil at ASU.
  3. Various gymnasts were critical of her for whatever reasons…if you recall she dismissed like 4 team members, who all went to social media to vent.
UGA dismissed Durante because of the combination of Suzanne and the unhappy gymnasts than her actual results.

UGA loves Kupets and so do the gymnasts, but they also like winning teams. UGA won’t be able to comeback to the top tier group if their results continue because they won’t get any high level, star recruits like they did decades ago.
UGA was dominant because of the elites and level 10s they recruited.

Besides constant injuries, UGA has an issue with recruiting. Durante and Kupets did not have Jay Clark, a master recruiter.

Anyone else planning to watch Meet the Bruins tonight? First time I’m excited about UCLA since 2018/2019.

I’m watching the Red Rocks preview (Utah). Fun way to start the season.

Which pac-12 network is it streaming on? I can’t find it on fubo :confused:

Utah is almost done.

Pac-12 Now app streams both tonight.

UCLA putting up Malabuyo and Jeffrey on vault was an interesting choice. Only 1 10 sv, Chiles’ went with just a fty.

Hopefully someone will post the RR preview on youtube, can’t seem to find it on the international channel

Last edited:
The leg separation on Frazier’s maloney looks significantly larger than in past seasons. Obviously it’s hard to see from side view, but it frustrates me that a leg sep needs to be egregious to even get a deduction nowadays.

Comforte needs to go asap. The beam lineup has been so inconsistent ever since she took over.

Her bars translate really well to ncaa - she has great technique. Even as an elite, I found her surprisingly enjoyable on the event.

Pre-season conditioning seems to be a concern again this season. I think letting Wieber go was a mistake on UCLA’s part because they looked so much fitter when she was on the coaching staff.

Norah’s 3/1 was beautiful! Malabuyo’s side pass was great too.

Coaches poll.
Michigan takes top spot right with Florida right behind.
2022 Preseason Coaches Poll
  1. Michigan (37 first-place votes) – 2405 points
  2. Florida (16 first-place votes) – 2319 points
  3. Oklahoma (6 first-place votes) – 2317 points
  4. Utah (8 first-place votes) – 2306 points
  5. LSU (1 first-place vote) – 2179 points
  6. Alabama – 2027 points
  7. Cal (1 first-place vote) – 2020 points
  8. UCLA – 1887 points
  9. Minnesota – 1803 points
  10. Denver – 1763 points
  11. Arkansas – 1700 points
  12. Kentucky – 773 points
  13. Arizona State – 1666 points
  14. Auburn – 1460 points
  15. Georgia – 1384 points
  16. Missouri – 1334 points
  17. Oregon State – 1316 points
  18. Iowa – 1308 points
  19. BYU – 1208 points
  20. Iowa State – 1005 points
  21. NC State – 981 points
  22. Ohio State – 957 points
  23. Illinois – 919 points
  24. Boise State – 908 points
  25. Southern Utah – 864 points
  26. Utah State – 607 points
  27. Arizona – 593 points
  28. Central Michigan – 517 points
  29. Penn State – 432 points
  30. West Virginia – 428 points
  31. Maryland – 425 points
  32. Nebraska – 383 points
  33. Stanford – 381 points
  34. Washington – 367 points
  35. North Carolina – 336 points
  36. Michigan State – 305 points
I’m a little shocked at Oklahoma being ranked that high to be honest. I personally have them ranked 6th right now.

I’m not really surprised at OU being top 3. They were second last Championships even with injuries and illness. They lose Webb but add Linker, Sievers, and Bowers, who have been machines in JO lately, along with athletes who missed last season or couldn’t compete a second/third event.

If nothing else, KJ is a better tactical coach than others, and they’ll either outmaneuver the other teams in most circumstances or get the benefit of the doubt. Oklahoma @ Utah is going to be a fantastic meet next month.

Last edited:
Btw is there anywhere these previews are available for rewatching? I know there’s a site where people upload most of the meets for streaming but I lost my bookmarks and can’t remember for the life of me what it was called.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back