irichluck21

Staff member
Defender
Monday, February 5
10:00 pmWashington 196.5000 @ Stanford 196.8750
Thursday, February 8
7:00 pmHamline, UW-Stout @ Winona State

Courtesy of https://roadtonationals.com/results/schedule/

Scoring for LSU-UGA is insane. The judges want to throw out enormous scores but the gymnastics doesn't justify it. If there's less obvious errors on beam and floor, prepare yourselves for a bazillion 10s.

Florida-Arkansas is also going crazy scoring. No idea how Sloane Blakely's scored 9.675 when there were at least .3 to take on the landing alone (very short landing, huge lunge back)

Doesn't LSU have ridiculous amounts of collective money that basically ends up functioning like extra scholarships with the money they have to entice walk ons?

Doesn't LSU have ridiculous amounts of collective money that basically ends up functioning like extra scholarships with the money they have to entice walk ons?
Yes, "Walk On" 100% doesn't mean Konnor is paying her own way; especially at a school like LSU that has plenty of NIL money to use.

LSU also has a strong NIL factor, you could go there not on scholarship and still not pay out of pocket for school. Which is why it is a draw for graduate athletes, who won't be on scholarship but are good to go due to NIL.

Konnor should get her scholarship next year. She had deferred originally to 2025, so the scholarship was given to someone else. She then changed her mind and enrolled on time but the scholarship was already handed out.

After this year, the last of the seniors being able to take covid years, it will be interesting to see if the transfer trend continues. I dont recall pre-covid that there were too many grad transfers, or at least to the level that we have seen the last 3 years. Of course there werent too many graduates able to take a 5th year or 6th year.

I think transferring will still occur due to NIL, etc. Until that changes, maybe the transfers will slow down.
There are still plenty of transfers that are occurring without being a graduate student.

Transferring is much easier to have happen now as the restrictions have loosened quite a bit. It was almost impossible to be able to transfer in the past, and in some cases having to take a year off in between competing for teams, which that alone likely deterred athletes that may have wanted a change.

Oklahoma saw the LSU 198.475 at home and decided to basically match it this week. LOL

I think transferring will still occur due to NIL, etc. Until that changes, maybe the transfers will slow down.
There are still plenty of transfers that are occurring without being a graduate student.

Transferring is much easier to have happen now as the restrictions have loosened quite a bit. It was almost impossible to be able to transfer in the past, and in some cases having to take a year off in between competing for teams, which that alone likely deterred athletes that may have wanted a change.
It’s easy to forget that we’ve yet to see the longer term impact of NIL, beyond the extraordinary situation brought about by Covid

I don't understand why Soraya Hawthorne transferred to OU. I don't remember them being able to help springy gymnasts. They seem to do better with gymnasts that are slightly underpowered or powerful gymnasts that can already control it.

Every single routine of hers that I've watched this year has the same issues: a wild leap series and that uncontrolled leap out of her last pass. The only thing she did better this week was control the landing on her middle pass.

Does she have a COVID year? If so, I guess we'll see if she stays on campus and improves over the summer.

Yeah, I don't know. Maybe there's a grad program at Oklahoma that she wanted to do. Or maybe she wants the experience of going to Nationals. Apparently, KJ was quite frank with her about how difficult it is to make the lineups at OU, so hopefully she's happy with her role there to date.

I wish we got to see more of her, though. She's such a good performer on floor.

I don't understand why Soraya Hawthorne transferred to OU. I don't remember them being able to help springy gymnasts. They seem to do better with gymnasts that are slightly underpowered or powerful gymnasts that can already control it.

Every single routine of hers that I've watched this year has the same issues: a wild leap series and that uncontrolled leap out of her last pass. The only thing she did better this week was control the landing on her middle pass.

Does she have a COVID year? If so, I guess we'll see if she stays on campus and improves over the summer.
There are only three compelling reasons that covid year seniors transfer
1. NIL Money - Savs to LSU. pretty much all their covid transfers lol
2. One year at a "dream" school/opportunity to see something different - Angney to Georgia
3. Win a title - Soraya

I don't believe Hawthorne finished her degrees at Georgia. But I might be wrong and she's pursuing a "liberal studies" masters. Em and This transfer seems strictly to chase a championship.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back