2021 Euros prelims

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Ok Larissa’s beam. I have:

D Score = 6.1
Acro: DFDDF = 2.4
Dance: CDD = 1.1
Bonus: 0.6
CR: 2.0 - she’s lucky the angle the judges had didn’t show the wobble after the switch leap. On the livestream, her arm had a very minor break which could have been thought of as breaking the connection, and losing her the dance CR. But on this angle, I’d award.

E Score = 7.1 (3 Artistry).

Ok. I’ll give it to her. It’s a very well constructed routine. And the elements she does are clean. Her feet in the Switch Half stick out like a sore thumb, and she really isn’t square, but I think that’s an execution deduction (I gave a 3) rather than a D Score issue (it isn’t a switch side). The routine is built around those two huge combinations. That dismount is such huge money in this Code. It’s why Simone can get away with a relatively mediocre beam routine and still beat all the Chinese girls.

I feel exactly the same, right down to the total failure to recognise a 180 degree split. Last night I even posted about how tentative she looked, but in retrospect, it was us who were nervy. And the livestream really was shit. The quality here is infinitely better.

They were pretty generous yesterday though. Not the tightest judging!

I think it looks way prettier in the pistol position. Like a wolf jump. The leg splayed out to the side isn’t as pretty, although that’s how Humphrey did it originally.

Woke up this morning and feel fine! Makes me think maybe I already had COVID and didn’t realise - because apparently the second dose is when your body is supposed to react. I had a very sore arm after shot number 1, and a bit of wooziness for like, 3 or 4 hours after - but I put it down to the sharp pain in my arm freaking me out!

Woke up this morning with a full jug of water and a bottle of Paracetamol by the bed, just in case it was gonna be my fort for the next 24 hours, but nothing!

Ha - let’s wait until Skinner season to be throwing around the f-bomb on Switch Halfs, AR!

I was super surprised that Visser didn’t make the AA Final. A gymnast of her calibre should not be struggling to make it into the top 30 in Europe. I’m glad she gets a second chance.

Yes. Seeing as the Code says its not possible to fall on a Wolf Turn (good job Nellie!) I would like to think the judges really hammer these bad wolf turns both for body shape and for lack of balance (arms waving) during the turn.

Urazova has one of the best. As does Suni. it wouldn’t surprise me if, notwithstanding next years downgrade, they keep these turns in their routines because they really can do them flawlessly. They’d still be worth doing. Although I think maybe they can only do one, and not two, right?

Urazova definitely has the best ever. Hers in qualification were actually the worst I’ve seen from her. It’s incredible how she manages to keep her neck directly atop her supporting foot’s arch every single time. We’ll see if it gives her more difficulty as she grows

Also, what are people’s podium predictions? We could start a new thread for it, but I don’t know if there’s much of a need.

AA 1. Listunova 2. Melnikova 3. Iordache
VT 1. Gadirova 2. Steingruber 3. Melnikova
UB 1. Urazova 2. Melnikova 3. Seitz (alt. Adlerteg)
BB 1. Iordache 2. S. Wevers 3. De Jesus dos Santos (alt. Morgan)
FX 1. Melnikova 2. Listunova 3. Gadirova (alt. Iordache)

I had 8.6 for this. She got 8.4. The vast majority of deductions being the toe full, the bent knee tap, and the dismount.

I think I was on 0.5 off when she caught the Jaeger.

Last edited:
I judged it last night and I think I had an 8.7. I considered posting here, but then assumed it was just my blind Russian stanning. But I rly think she #wuzrobbed !

I just watched it just now again and came to an 8.7. Weird. Are they thinking .5 for her Pak? Are they hammering bent-knee taps harder? <–reflex test

isn’t 0.5 off for the JAeger catch a bit much? I mean, there’s no more room for someone who’d hypothetically catch even closer, you can’t give a 1.0 for that right? It was close but it wasn’t disastrous close. Ugh I shouldn’t even open the pandora box of judging, I’ll stick to bitching about and spreading fake scores about Larissa

I have Urazova’s bars as follows:

piked stalder full
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
Komova
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
Pak salto
  • (angle of completion → past 45 degrees of handstand) 0.3*
piked stalder 1/2
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
piked Jaeger
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (bent arms upon regrasp → medium) 0.3*
giant 1/2
  • (turn completed past handstand → between 10 and 30 degrees of handstand) 0.1
toe-on full
  • (turn completed past handstand → between 31 and 45 degrees of handstand) 0.3
full twisting double tuck
  • (bent knees on giant swing) 0.1*
  • (body posture on landing / chest low and forward) 0.1
  • (hop on landing) 0.1
Total : -1.7 / 8.3

The * denotes borderline between being 0.1 vs. 0.3 in real-time to my eye, and therefore, I don’t find an 8.6 or 8.7 to be unreasonable.

Pak salto
  • When paused it looks like Urazova is grasping the bar right at 45 degrees, which would only be a 0.1. However, in real-time, the continued momentum makes the angle look lower. Combining this with the fact that she is unable to continue directly into the Komova provides reasonable basis for a judge to conclude that the Pak was slightly below 45 degrees.
Jaeger
  • Because the flow out of the skill is not disrupted, I could see an argument to only deduct 0.1.
Dismount
  • In real-time, Urazova’s knee bend is noticeable, but doesn’t strike me as being beyond slight. In addition, she straightens her knees right after passing the low bar, dampening the visual impact of that initial knee bend. For a definite 0.3 deduction for bent knees on the tap swing, I would kindly refer you to Komova or Nabieva.

Yeah I only went with 1 tenth for the tap swing. Still ended up with an 8.6.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back