Worlds 2021 US Selection Camp (October 8-11)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I do find it fascinating that they named a large national team precisely because they knew the Olympians wouldn’t be going for worlds, took them to trials so they’d get experience, and yet not one of those “next generation” athletes is attempting worlds. They had to invite 4 non-national team members to selection camp! Absolutely nuts. Are athletes wildly unprepared? All suffering from injuries? Decided they hate Tom and elite gymnastics?

I do find it fascinating that they named a large national team precisely because they knew the Olympians wouldn’t be going for worlds, took them to trials so they’d get experience, and yet not one of those “next generation” athletes is attempting worlds. They had to invite 4 non-national team members to selection camp! Absolutely nuts. Are athletes wildly unprepared? All suffering from injuries? Decided they hate Tom and elite gymnastics?
How about just plain burnt out after the Nassar scandal, the total crazy disorganization that ensued at USAG, covid . . . . . .anything else?

Last edited:
Miller was not at last camp so we have no way of knowing injury status.
Fatta announced she has shin splints and withdrew.
Blakely is still recovering from injury.

The only two missing are Drayton and Siegfeldt. Unsure why they aren’t here, either they opted out, are slightly injured, had other things happening, or might have gotten cut by the selection committee last camp. We won’t know.
Chances are they opted out as they aren’t medal worthy in any apparatus and are unlikely to pass DiCello or Wong for all around. Worlds Selection meet is completely different than Olympic Trials.

This is a bonus Worlds in a way because the Olympics just happened and Olympians are opting out of Worlds. This is not just for the US ladies who are touring or headed to college. France, China, and Great Britain are sending non-Olympians. Australia, Spain, and Belgium aren’t sending anyone at all. Germany, Brazil, and Romania are sending only one gymnast.

Realistically these Worlds should have been cancelled after Denmark withdrew as hosts. Not sure the push from FIG to hold them after all. Is Japan still going with no audience? No ticket sales then.

US WAG coaches listed are Kelli Hill, Armine Barutyan, Valeri Liukin, and Ceclie Landi.
Valeri Liukin and Cecile Landi aren’t coaches for anyone that was listed. These names are just placeholders.

Skye Blakely’s coach is not Valeri. Konnor is with Valeri in Plano, however Blakely is in Frisco with Tatyana Shadenko. Blakeley and McClain don’t train together, they are at separate WOGA locations.

So the World trials are being streamed by FLO, but I read that Spencer at thebalancebeamsituation will be live blogging so we will have some news.

She could win with a 57 or come 9th with a 53. You just never know with her.

Last edited:
Is there any way to watch this other than by paying them?

Last edited:
Reactions: L_R
Nope. Unless someone records the stream and then uploads it, but FLO is pretty quick on getting those taken down.

Reactions: L_R
Is Chellsie looking at this camp of 6 and having second thoughts, I wonder?

7 into 4 is pretty good odds.

There’s no guarantee we won’t see one or more injuries amongst this group of 6. It’s likely we will see at least one.

Chellsie lost a bunch of training time from the ankle injury and then the short vault landing she took at Nationals. I think that influenced her decision on Worlds more than anything. I thought she addressed that in one of her videos… maybe I’m mixing facts on that last point. If she had four events ready, I think she would have gone for Worlds.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back