Worlds 2021 US Selection Camp (October 8-11)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

September Training Camp is happening now (why so close to Selection Camp beats me!)

In attendance:
Ciena Alipio
Skye Blakely (NT)
Kayla DiCello (NT)
Amari Drayton (NT)
Addison Fatta (NT)
eMjae Frazier
Olivia Greaves
Ava Siegfeldt
Leanne Wong (NT) !!!wow!!!

no Konnor McClain though…

It looks like Wong IS making a run for Worlds.

Interesting that Zoe Miller is not at camp, I wonder if she is taking a break, injured, or going to be at selection camp in a few weeks. I thought she had a realistic chance at Worlds with UB. Greaves and Drayton are there so WCC is represented.

Wong and DiCello have to be favorites for Worlds. I wonder how Blakely’s injury is coming along. McClain is a wild card given her year so far.

If McClain doesn’t attend this camp, can she even be considered in the running for worlds? I know I would be very hesitant to invite a gymnast to world selection camp who last competed (poorly) at US Classic and has since made a extremely high-profile gym switch.

I’m very curious how Greaves looks. She had a great March camp but then got injured.

Not entirely related to camp or shocking, but Florida’s landed another crown jewel in Skye Blakely: https://twitter.com/DrSam_PhD/status/1442539468875911182
Sisters almost always follow each other t respective schools. Baumanns, Lis, and Fraziers are ones that have no with eMjae and Andi at California and Marz and Anna at UCLA. Obviously Alyssa at UF and Rachel at UGA currently.
I am sure there are more examples but they are escaping me at the moment!

Do they? Seems as many examples of sisters who didn’t go to the same school as sisters who did. Polina and Alyona Shchennikova another example of sisters who went to different schools.

Gymnasts are normal people too, not everyone wants to go to school where their family are!

I forgot about Polina and Alyona.
Although Alyona had originally verballed to Michigan. Polina medically retiring is probably what made me forget.
Also McKenna Kelley went to LSU and Emma is at Arkansas

Sisters that went to the same school: Finnegans, Glenns, Caquattos, Schwikerts, Licheys, Dantzschers, Kupets,
Monteclaros (Cal), Petzolds (CMU), Schupps (Cornell), Tangs (Maryland), Lauers (Nebraska), Bellinghams (SJSU), Walchs (Temple), Adams siters (WMU), Szafranskis (ASU), Box sisters (UGA), Tays (Yale) Ashley and Courtney Priess (Bama)

So it generally is more typical for sisters to follow each other, especially if they are twins.

A few more recents ones I know of because they compete/competed near me - Lacy and Madi Dagen(Oregon State), Jimena and Anapaula Gutierrez (Stanford), Caitlin and Courtney Soliwoda (Sac State)

So it was worded. These things happen when athletes can’t perform up to a certain standard around signing, and it’s devastating when scholarships are pulled. But, it’s important to note that for competitive WAG, verballing implies but does not guarantee 100% of the time that a scholarship was offered in addition to admission to the school.

Looking at her recruiting video, I’m not convinced LSU ever actually offered a scholarship. I think the “offer” was just guaranteeing her admission and telling her she could walk on, and they’d re-evaluate or whatever closer to signing. The pieces really don’t add up for a top NCAA program, and it would be foolish to use a scholarship spot on her.

Then, during MLR’s divorce, when the kids weren’t training with Dan and Ashly Baker, they were with Kim and Chris, so…

Last edited:
I mean, injuries and emotional issues aside (and not minimizing those, nor saying that they exist at only one of these gyms), Texas Dreams has produced, by and large, higher quality athletes than Stars for most of the time since the gym has existed.

Edit to add “by and large” but Stars gymnasts have very rarely made a splash on the senior scene

Last edited:
I mean, injuries and emotional issues aside (and not minimizing those, nor saying that they exist at only one of these gyms), Texas Dreams has produced, by and large, higher quality athletes than Stars for most of the time since the gym has existed.

Edit to add “by and large” but Stars gymnasts have very rarely made a splash on the senior scene
Sure, but there’s plenty of turnover at TD, too, and it’s one thing to start there vs. going there after you’ve spent most of your career at Stars. The point is, I’m not sure how TD tips the scales in anybody’s favor once they arrive there with bad, baked-in technique a la Smith or Kelley, and I don’t think there was enough time to fix enough even if TD were helpful.

Last edited:
Addison Fatta will not be attending selection due to stress fractures.

Last edited:
Disappointing news.
While still an outside chance at the team if DiCello, Blakeley, McClain, and Wong show up healthy and hitting, I thought she had the best chance of the rest of the group to sneak onto the team.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back