US Women's training

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What if Rivera falls on beam? I hope she doesn't, but you never know. I'd like to see Simone take a break and not do UB, but I'm unsure how she will feel.

TBA any of them could fall off beam given how they have competed this year

Memmel and Co. seem fine putting up an athlete in TFs who fell in prelims. I'm thinking of Chiles on beam in 2022. Still weird looking at those results that they had Carey do beam over Jones.

I'm really nervous for Suni on beam. She'll be heartbroken if she doesn't make finals.

Jordan is team captain, so it makes sense that she goes first rather than a 16 year old making her senior international debut!
I don't think Hezly should go go first either. I think they should borrow a page from NCAA strategy and have Simone go first. She's the most consistent beamer on the team and she's such a big name that I don't think her medal chances would be impacted by her placement in the lineup. I'd like to see Simone, Hezly, Jordan, then Suni.

I'd ask them. Some kids love going first, some love going last. It doesn't really matter, so if they have a preference, I'd listen. We do that at our meets, especially with our older kids. Usually everyone wants to go 2nd.

I’m sure that given the age, experience of the athletes plus the whole ethos that USAG is trying to recreate, the athletes will be part of that discussion

I’m sure that given the age, experience of the athletes plus the whole ethos that USAG is trying to recreate, the athletes will be part of that discussion
Yes, I'm impressed by this move to give more choice to the athletes themselves. It's smart. For one thing, these are all adults and should be treated as such.

But for another, having choice and well-defined boundaries is important. It makes you feel in control but also safe. I used to use it on my nephew when he was a kid--"we can either go to the park today or go walk on that trail in the woods, which would you like to do? It's your choice and I'll be OK with either one." I know this example is kind of... juvenile but it works. Having some autonomy is a big thing.

I really wish Jordan wasn't up first on beam. I feel like if she falls, it can have a cascading effect and there's like a 50 percent chance she'll fall.
Honestly, I don't think this is worth worrying about. The odds of a meltdown severe enough to jeopardize their spot in the finals is extremely slim. Might be a good idea to apply some pressure to Jordan and see how she responds, as that's probably her overall weak point. If it doesn't go well, they can rejig for the final.

Honestly, I would have put Lee last on beam after Biles.

I'm really nervous for Suni on beam. She'll be heartbroken if she doesn't make finals.
I just wish she would relax. I'm glad Simone is there to provide support, because Suni's demeanor is reminding me of Simone's during the last Olympic games. I want physically and mentally healthy gymnasts emerging from these games. I want physically and mentally healthy athletes emerging, regardless of their sport.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back