The Best of Each Event

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

@Ispatterson

Just wondering why you listed Aly Raisman’s TF in 2012 as Best Floor instead of her EF. She left the punch layout out of her first tumbling pass in the TF but kept it in the EF.

Last edited:
I think Silivas and Yang Bo were superb beam workers but have always loved this routine by Potorac

I think that’s why we have to use parameters re: different eras and codes. Is there anyone in the last few quads you could realistically put in the top 5, or even top 10, for greatest artistic floor workers of all time? The code doesn’t reward that, so it isn’t prioritized or trained anymore. Afan is the closest for me that I can think of at the moment, but that’s only her 2011-12 routines.

I just thought probably Kui yuanyuan has to be the best beamer in terms of ability? Both dance as well as acro?

always good to rewatch this

I think so. The rumours about her doing the double twist in training just before Sydney are probably bollocks, but it speaks volumes that she’s the one they grew around.

I was trying to remember the gymnast that was purportedly training a double twist on beam but couldn’t remember who. If Simone didn’t have a block with beam, I would have figured she’d be the one to debut it.

Oana van could do a 1.5 according to belu. Which, if it’s tucked, i could believe, cause that full was insane

I think IG reported Ban having a 1.5 on beam and playing with a double. Her tucked full had so much height. She’s the only gymnast who disappointed me by doing a straight full, the tucked version had much more amplitude.

Last edited:
I had seen this, but seeing how she didn’t even do a tucked full it’s hard for me to take it seriously. Whereas Oana was all sorts of 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

It’s really a shame she didn’t qualify for finals in athens so we didn’t see the full again

Had Ban made the beam final at the 2004 Olympics, I’m not sure she would have necessarily competed the full (either version on beam), even if it had been an upgrade in the past.

Comparing the balance beam routines of the Romanians from 2003 to those in 2004 demonstrates their understanding of the COP and the lessons they learned from past competitions, including the 2003 World Championships.
  • Ponor removed the switch ring leap from her routine after not receiving credit for it in team finals. In event finals at Worlds, she had already added in a back up gymnastic/mixed series of wolf jump + beat jump to her routine.
  • Ban removed the layout stepout mount after 2002 Worlds. It also appears it was decided that Ban’s layout full was not worth the risk after making multiple errors on it in 2003. They reworked her routine to still have a 10.0 SV and be competitive in event finals. As Rafiki mentioned, I also actually always preferred her tucked full because of the mastery she showed, with the explosive amplitude and kick out at near vertical.
  • Eremia found a consistent method to obtain a 10.0 SV on beam by adding the Shushunova 1/2 after the side switch leap. She only had a 9.9 SV at 2003 Worlds.

Last edited:
yeah that might well be the case. I mean, she only used the LO onto the beam in finals in 2002, and that was gone from then on. In 2003 she really only missed the LO 1/1 in qualis, didn’t she? She hit TF and AA, TF being the better, but AA only had a 0.1 check, if any at all.

. I mean, she only used the LO onto the beam in finals in 2002, and that was gone from then on
Wasn’t that when Belu went on and in about the poor judging when that mistake would have normally made someone last in finals not the silver medalist??

Belu went absolutely mental because Ponor dyed her hair and went to a nightclub AFTER WINNING THREE OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALS

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back