Ask an Expert Judge, (aka the misc. technical questions thread)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Quickie: on floor what does a front layout-ro-bhs-tripple full-punch front get in CV? Are all three saltos parts of a single indirect acro connection, or judges count one indirect "layout to triple" and one direct "triple-punch front"?

Also, when the code writes B/C + D for a direct acro connection, does this actually mean "any B or higher skill plus any D or higher skill in any order"?

And A+A+D / A+A+E (or higher, right?) can be in any order? That's what is confusing me on the first question. Because ro-bhs-whip-whip-bhs-double tuck obviously has a direct connection between the whips (even though they do not get a bonus on their own as A skills).

Okay, maybe that was not so quick!

Last edited:
first pass is 0.1 + 0.2.

The "B/C + D" is written that way only for indirect, not direct.
Upgrading the B/C to D makes a different 0.2 bonus for D + D.
Upgrading the D to an E is still 0.1, like you thought.

Any order, yes. So whip + BHS + whip + BHS + double back would still be A + A + D indirect 0.1.

first pass is 0.1 + 0.2.

The "B/C + D" is written that way only for indirect, not direct.
Upgrading the B/C to D makes a different 0.2 bonus for D + D.
Upgrading the D to an E is still 0.1, like you thought.

Any order, yes. So whip + BHS + whip + BHS + double back would still be A + A + D indirect 0.1.
thanks for your reply. I'm looking at the next Code (2025-2028 ) and see the table below. And I wasn't sure why they write "C + D/E" under indirect and "B/C + D" under direct. As it seems it must mean "C + (D or higher)" and "B + (C or higher)".

Thankd for the A+A+E though, that's really helpful.
Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 10.51.40.png

Can someone actually clarify the rules regarding downgrades of Gainer dismounts? Everyone on twitter is claiming that Suni's beam dismount should have been downgraded to a tuck, but the help desk article says otherwise.

Can someone actually clarify the rules regarding downgrades of Gainer dismounts? Everyone on twitter is claiming that Suni's beam dismount should have been downgraded to a tuck, but the help desk article says otherwise.

For a gymnast to be credited with a tuck position, the body must show less than 90 degree angle in both the hips and the knees. Although Lee significantly tucks her left knee, her hip angle is completely stretched. Therefore, the body shape credited would be layout, with deductions assessed for the bent knee.

For a gymnast to be credited with a tuck position, the body must show less than 90 degree angle in both the hips and the knees. Although Lee significantly tucks her left knee, her hip angle is completely stretched. Therefore, the body shape credited would be layout, with deductions assessed for the bent knee.
Literally exactly what I said, the angry twitter mob has come for me 😂

thanks for your reply. I'm looking at the next Code (2025-2028 ) and see the table below. And I wasn't sure why they write "C + D/E" under indirect and "B/C + D" under direct. As it seems it must mean "C + (D or higher)" and "B + (C or higher)".

Thankd for the A+A+E though, that's really helpful.
View attachment 10905
Oh, for the NEXT code. They could have just written C + D for the 0.2 indirect and B + D for the 0.2 direct without the slashes and second letters and everyone would understand that the bonuses apply for skills with higher values. But this is from the WTC, who routinely overcomplicate stuff. Say it with me: BUSYBODY. LOL.

It's wild that this is the standard for a downgrade to a tuck, but ANY HINT of pike in the hips on a Lopez gives you a 6 tenth downgrade to a Podkopayeva.

I think it would be really nice for Canada to send Olsen to a World Cup event.

She can submit a piked Cheng, get her name in the COP and then forever more, the D panel will have something to downgrade all the fugly Chengs to.

Thank you and Merci

I think it would be really nice for Canada to send Olsen to a World Cup event.

She can submit a piked Cheng, get her name in the COP and then forever more, the D panel will have something to downgrade all the fugly Chengs to.

Thank you and Merci
I have wondered by no one has submitted the piked Cheng(I believe Cheng Fei herself submitted both shapes) similar with a piked double double on FX... I was sure Skinner was going to submit that to finally get a Skinner in the COP

I have wondered by no one has submitted the piked Cheng(I believe Cheng Fei herself submitted both shapes) similar with a piked double double on FX... I was sure Skinner was going to submit that to finally get a Skinner in the COP
I think they believe it’s impossible to do more than a half twist when tumbling towards in the piked position. Same issue with handspring front vaults too

Skills with more than 1 twist are simply never recognized as piked by the code. Even sometimes skills with just 1 twist (like the Gainer 1/1 dismount, it's only every tucked or layout).

I know that a gymnast's coach can enquire her D score, and it can go up or down or stay the same.

I understand the coach has to make a specific enquiry, like, was the triple wolf credited etc.

So can the score go down on any aspect of the D score, or only on what the coach has enquired about?

Say gymnast has got full credit for a switch leap but not for a triple wolf. Enquiry on triple wolf. Switch leap was dodgy. Can she now lose points on that?

Thanks for any answers ...

Kara’s inquiry was on the downgrade of a leap. upon the review judges denied that and took additional deduction for another leap. Switch rings and rings were being heavily deducted.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back