Suni Lee new UB combo (training)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

if you’re talking about Ban, it’s a full twisting luconi
Here’s a vid of her doing it

Interesting about Ban because the full twisting Luconi was not in the CoP at the time of the Swiss Cup.
It was given a 9.8 SV at the meet.
The Khorkina II had a 9.9 SV.

Ban only got a 9.125 for this vault. So she went back to the regular Lucconi at Worlds with a 9.5 SV.
Funny thing is she actually scored better with the Lucconi than the full twisting version.

Ban vaulted a piked Luconi at 2003 Worlds which had a 9.7 SV.

Also, the Swiss Cup was held in November, which was after Worlds, so it was an upgrade for her. She continued to use this vault through Athens.

Last edited:
Ban vaulted a piked Luconi at 2003 Worlds which had a 9.7 SV.
Ooops! Thanks, forgot the tucked was 9.5 and the pike was 9.7!

Still a full twisting Luconi should have been 9.9 like the Khorkina.
Insane adding a full twist in tuck position only upped it by .1 over the piked no twist.

She continued to use this vault through Athens.
Did Ban submit this vault to be named after her?
It was not in the CoP previously.

I don’t have the 2006 CoP handy to see if it ended up being added.

The fact that she’s barely getting 3/4 twist onto the table, doing the repulsion phase with a clear twist in her shoulders, and completing it in the flight portion is admittedly making me not love those attempts.
Edit: re: Ban

Last edited:
The fact that she’s barely getting 3/4 twist onto the table, doing the repulsion phase with a clear twist in her shoulders, and completing it in the flight portion is admittedly making me not love those attempts.
That was an issue with everyone’s Lucconi-style vaults once the table was introduced. 2003 saw an epidemic of “Lucconi” vaults where the gymnasts barely completed more than half a twist onto the table. I suspect that ability to cheat was one of the reasons WTC has so harshly devalued these vaults over the years.

I suspect that ability to cheat was one of the reasons WTC has so harshly devalued these vaults over the years
Seems impossible not to cheat it and still have the power to do anything other than a simple back salto off.

Have we seen any true examples of that vault?

Yeah, all the cool girls did it that way by Athens. Anything else would’ve been overachieving.

Last edited:
There’s this

I can’t actually think of anyone we’ve seen do a true full. Even Scherbo at peak didn’t. His Olympic gold medal winning attempt is an almost perfect three quarters.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back