Suni Lee new UB combo (training)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Honestly it’s probably somewhere above 1/3 of all elite WAG athletes, if not 40%+

Luconi style vaults are 3/4-on to Tsuks. That is considered a correct technique nowadays. (It was not then, though)

In MAG, it HAD to be 3/4 basically because the horse was sideways. But the code says 3/4 in both WAG and MAG now. That’s the expectation.

I don’t really mind the 3/4+

I do mind it being called a Luconi and being less than a half turn

Some fun facts about Scherbo’s vaulting:
  • You can see that he really is thinking “3/4 on, Tsuk off.”
  • One reason DTYs and Scherbo vaults were good for him was that he twisted the wrong way to do Kas vaults.
  • He taught Morgan and Paul Hamm how to do DTYs, but not Scherbo entries, as far as I know. because both of them twisted the wrong way (Kas style)
  • 1992 was when he debuted “his” vault I think. In 1990 and 1991 his two vaults were FTY and DTY.
  • He usually did a DTY in AA events after that and saved “his” vault for finals.
  • At the 1996 Olympics, he switched his second vault. I think it was hard to get distance on it, and that quad had that weird distance rule with all the distance lines on the mat.
  • He later did a Round-off half-on to laid out barani vault (see below) which was actually a twist less for him.
  • Hardy Fink told me once that he could do the Scherbo with a second twist, which Kenzo Shirai later got named after him.
  • So he really was a master of ALL roundoff entries — the only person on Earth that can claim that.

Scherbo could actually do this vault. Shirai didn’t have a great block.

Now I -AM- wondering. Plus the vault rules over the last 3 quads keep changing what pairing of vaults guys can do in finals. that would have messed with him a bit, but certain quads he might have been a dominant force in vaulting with Scherbo and Yurchenko and half-on vaults

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back