Skinner's rash beam exercise construction

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I really do feel bad for her… she obviously has some immense natural talent that was never fostered correctly. She has no real chance of making another Olympic team despite her delusions … I can only imagine her meltdown when she doesn’t make it again

Ok. She has improved. But the fact that she’s still literally learning new moves at this point is quite worrying. She did like 5 Bhadwaj’s in the video. Maybe 1 was almost ready to go into a routine. I know she wants to “peak for Trials” but peaking doesn’t mean learning new skills 8 weeks out from Trials. She could easily get those 2 tenths of upgrades back by improving her Pak.

The illusion is still in the beam routine. I’m just laughing at this point. Her coaches are smart. WHAT ARE THEY DOING WITH THAT?!

Last edited:
I mean, ur right. But - they’ve taught a girl a Moors and a Cheng. It’s not like they’re complete novices.

They know how gymnastics scoring works. Surely they can see that Skinner cannot physically do that skill without a 0.3 body shape deduction. Skinner repeatedly tells the camera she has poor flexibility. Yet they pick a skill which requires one of the most flexible cross split positions in the entire Code. It’s like, a Yang Bo of spins. She will be attempting a Double Scorpion on floor next week.

MyKayla - do a fucking full turn and save ur breath, energy and training time by working on your Full In beam dismount that you actually have a hope of successfully performing and which might actually give you points instead of taking them away.

Last edited:
What are the judging criteria for chest position on landings? I wanna take -0.3 at the least but from what I’ve gleaned from live judging videos, she probably only gets -0.1? I always seem to want to take more for chest position than the judges seem able to do.

ETA: amazing she can crank a Moors around with no set…

Last edited:
She has been working on the Bhardwaj for a while actually. She’s also been working on connecting out of the Ray for a while. I actually think that it’s more or less fine for her to work on that.

However, I wish she would do the following
  • practice extending in her glide
  • do like 10 cast HS per day with a light spot to build muscle memory of what it should feel like
  • remove all the stuff from her beam routine that we’ve said to remove and practice presentation and the full-in (which is worth it)
  • work on endurance so she can make it through her FX

I know she’s been working on the Bhadwaj for a while. My point is that she’s still working on it. She’s still learning it.

There comes a point when you need to decide whether you want to continue spending time learning skills, instead of working on all the other stuff that you set out above.

She can barely do Ray-Pak. She should work on getting that better instead of continuing to learn Ray-Bhadwaj.

It has been torture for the last 8 years with her always so close to making major teams. It’s crazy to think she has only competed in one world championship.

Don’t forget, though, that just a few months ago, she lost a LOT of training time due not only to an ankle injury but then also a major pneumonia / covid scare. Frankly, I’d say she’s better than I would have expected at this point.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back