Skinner's rash beam exercise construction

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yeah, I think Skinner is going pro, whether she makes Tokyo or not. Combined with the life factors mentioned upthread, she and her husband have indicated they don’t like NCAA’s judging or its eligibility and earnings rules, and Simone’s tour is powering forward with late September-early November dates.

The Tour is a quicker, lower-stakes buck than hanging around and carrying an NCAA-contending team every week from January through April of 2022, but who knows. Stranger things have happened.

Has Skinner ever talked about her career or educational goals? I can’t recall reading anything, making me doubt that she’s going to back to Utah at all.

She always stated that in 2019 she was going to return to Utah after the Olympics. She also stated that has she known that the Olympics were going to be postponed, she would have finished out her senior year at Utah so she could graduate and then make a run for the Olympics.

The other problem is that she will be 25 if she returns to be a senior and also it would require a waiver from the NCAA as she has used up the five years of eligibility at this point due to deferring for 2016.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I know her plan was to take a year to make that Olympic run, which obviously has become longer than a year, and then go back to Utah. But I’ve never heard her talk about actual career goals or what she intends to do with her degree.

Of course, lots of people have no idea what they actually want to “do” with their lives at 18, 19, 20, but by senior year many college gymnasts have more definitive goals: I’m going to enter a teaching credential program, or I’m going to go to grad school, or I want to apply for PT school.

Skinner is 24. I’ve don’t recall her ever talking about non-gymnastics career or educational goals. Has anyone?

Ok, I can’t be arsed watching all of that but at 2.15 on the first one, they both answer the question ‘will you go back to collegiate gymnastics after the Olympics’? She says that’s the plan for now, whilst not looking particularly excited or inspired. He says ‘maybe’. I’m not sure why he was responding to that one anyway, but it doesn’t sound like there are particularly firm plans there. I suppose as well she’d probably want to factor any pro opportunities (or lack of them) into her plans, and it’s not possible to call those at this stage.

She also mentioned them deciding pre 2019 worlds that they would want to get married before the Olympics as they’d be moving back to Utah afterwards to finish college. Then I got bored, and here ends my precis of the first 5 minutes.

I know her plan was to take a year to make that Olympic run, which obviously has become longer than a year, and then go back to Utah. But I’ve never heard her talk about actual career goals or what she intends to do with her degree.
How many elite gymnasts have very clear, articulated post-gymnastic career plans prior to their retirement?

Last edited:
Right!
I remember that Amanda Borden was supposed to go to Georgia and planned on majoring in Elementary Education to become a teacher and that completely changed!

Amy Chow always planned on being a doctor though!

Who would have thought Tasha Schwikert, elite party girl, would end up a lawyer!

Based on what her mother Joy stated, and what Tasha admitted later on. Yes, she was more inclined to have less restrictions. Also, her parents worked nights so there was more freedom at home for Tasha and Jordan.

Skinner doesn’t have the flexibility, nor the toepoint, to properly do or look good doing a Moceanu or Silivas mount. I was watching her trying to do some straddle stretches on floor. She can’t do a straddle split. I think she should just keep the candlestick mount. It’s a D and I don’t think it’s too terrible looking. It could be worse. I doubt they’d mess with her mount or beam set this close to Trials anyhow.

Last edited:
Totally agree the candlestick mount is good for her. If I was her coach I’d go:

Candlestick
BHS Full Korbut 0.5 (she won’t get it but might as well try, even if just for the low to beam choreo)
Aerial Cartwheel - Split - Straddle 0.2
Crossways Jump 1/1 to side choreo
RO Full In 0.2

DFDBG/DBB 0.9 = 6.0

Last edited:
That’s almost exactly the same exercise I proposed except full + Korbut is never going to be bounding so you can remove that 0.2 and make it 5.8.

Her sideways jump combo is pretty rhythmic when she hits it, so I kept it in to get her to 6.2. (I originally had 6.0 but realized I miscounted.)

I just didn’t connect the aerial to the jumps because I didn’t know if she had done that before.

Last edited:
That a fugly candlestick mount is her best option is just sad.

She should definitely get a gold star for persistence after this is all over and she is disappointed all over again. I would be hiding under my bed crying after the first failure at something (I don’t have issues with perfectionism!).

Considering her love of flipping, I am surprised Skinner doesn’t mount with a punch front into immediate jump

She was doing a punch front mount in the lead-up to Rio, fell on it day 2 at nationals. I’ve no idea if she kept it for trials. Definitely would be prettier than her candlestick mount, but would probably be a net zero or even loss when you factor in potential wobbles.

That 3 fall bb routine with its 5.95 Escore probably contributed to her not making the 2016 team because Marta hated fallers

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back