Simone’s Yurchenko Double Pike

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yes. There’s a reason we almost exclusively see these vaults in pike in MAG.

I don’t think the 0.4 roadmap really works for double flipping vaults.

In MAG, the Roche and Melissandis YDP have the exact same value which is 5.6.
However, the Melissandis is the end of the line with no more room to upgrade.

If you train the Roche, you can upgrade to Blanik (6.0), Dragulescu I (6.0), Zimmermann (6.0) or Dragulescu 2 (6.4).
This is the reason more men opt to train the handspring front, since it lends itself to potentially upgrading further.

The YDP IS easier than the Roche, which is why men go the handspring route because they want more difficulty.

Last edited:
I mean, is a Yurchenko full-in completely out of the question?

I want to say I’ve seen training footage of Melissanidis doing this vault, but the attempts weren’t successful.

No, but start value wise it wouldn’t be worth it according to MAG COP

Not sure it was ever named for him I don’t recall if he did it at a Worlds before, but it is a piked version worth 6.4

Last edited:
No, that’s named after the North korean (ri xxxxxxx, his name escapes me)

There’s footage of melissanidis landing his vault at the 99 Worlds, but not in ef

Awesome! So it is Ri Se-gwang 2 then since the 1/1 Tsuk double is also named after him.

I do remember Dragulescu doing a double front with a full twist in some videos… I would love if he competed that

Rich, can you edit your post a bit? The Melissanidis is tucked. He trained it piked (and it looked close, but viable; @Concorde tell me what you think about this.) but I never saw him compete it piked. He also told me once that he dreamed of doing it with a full. I told him I thought that was a lot, but I think he liked to dream big. 🙂

Also, In MAG, the double tuck vaults are all worth 5.2, whether it’s front, Yurchenko, tsuk, or even tinsica-spring. The double pikes are all worth 0.4 more (5.6). Dragulescu piked and Kas-double back (CRAZY hard vaults) are 6.0.

I agree that the reason we see more double front vaults is because (a) men train Yurchenkos a bit less and (b) you can do a half out of it. There’s a third reason though: the Yurchenko triple twist, equivalent Tsuk and Kas vaults, and Randis are worth the same as double pikes. So there’s incentive to do those.

HOWEVER, the next code has grouped all the double saltos as a group and also grouped all the front and Kas vaults as one group. So that will change vault finals (and qualifications). EVERY vaulter will need to do either a double flipping vaults or a roundoff entry vault. So we’ll see if more guys start doing Yurchenkos and roundoff-half-ons.

Last edited:
In the MAG COP that I have, last updated in 2018 the YDP is referred to as the Melissandis Piked 5.6

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 10.52.18 AM

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 10.53.42 AM

Last edited:
Ivan Tikhonov (AZE) has been competing the YDP in 2021 both in Varna and Osijek
(Osijek)

Last edited:
They called it “Melissanidis piked” the same they called it “Tkatchev will 1/2 turn”. It wasn’t mean to be named after him. The new code (finally) credits Yang Wei, who was the first to perform it at Worlds. Yang Wei was an incredible gymnast and this is something cool about him that almost everyone forgets. When he showed up with this at 2002 Worlds, it was a total surprise to most people as he had never done a Yurchenko of any kind previously (to the best of my knowledge). He had a big triple twist for a while, and had done some other vaults, but not this.

This was a big deal, too, because the previous time he made vault finals, in 1999, he did this, which was utterly bizarre.

If you speak French, check out the reactions of the commentators. If I recall, they think it’s because he wanted to help Li Xiaopeng. I think it’s because he didn’t have a second vault ready, and I also think he is part of the reason the rule changed in 2001 that you needed two vaults in qualification!

Yeah, Tikohonov’s is pretty decent actually!

Good to know they are correcting it in the new COP.

Interesting 2nd vault for Yang Wei in 1999. Was that a planned vault or did he balk from a handspring vault?

Thank you for the history! Very interesting.

You know, I don’t have a copy of the 1997 code, so I can’t tell you. I think group 3 was front salto vaults then (with non salto vaults in the first group, full-twisting entry vaults in the second group, and kas/tsuk group IV, and roundoff all in group V).

so if it was a 9.5, then at that point, maybe a front layout half? Hm…

He definitely doesn’t look like he committed to his run even from the beginning.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back