Simone’s Yurchenko Double Pike

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yep and that got her a zero because you weren’t allowed to use the compulsory vault. Wonder who was the 9th qualifier? She was very new then so I’m sure additional experience was a factor, but it would be fair to pull out if zero is your only option.

Last edited:
She flashed the layout Tsuk (3.302) as her vault. It was questionably piked, so the judges devalued it to a pike and a result Meng Fei was given a zero since she performed the compulsory vault in event finals.

Last edited:
I would score that 14.400 (4.6/9.8)

.1 step
.1 body posture/deviation from straight direction (crossover in back step)

I think Meng Fei herself was? Seem to recall reading that she was a late replacement after someone got injured and found out about half an hour beforehand.

I think Meng Fei herself was? Seem to recall reading that she was a late replacement after someone got injured and found out about half an hour beforehand.
I thought that story was about Strug withdrawing and Chusovitina found out right before EF starting

Shannon Miller and Kerri Strug both withdrew from vault finals.

Is that because they didn’t have a 2nd vault? (And of course, Miller’s injury)

Miller had started doing the Phelps by 95 worlds, so in her case I think it must be the injury. Not sure about Kerri.

I reckon Meng Fei’s team must’ve just decided, we’ve got this far so it’s worth a try. Because that vault was absolutely the compulsory. Nicely performed, but a pike to open all the same. Complete with snap.

No.

Miller withdrew because of injury (but did UB and BB) she vaulted a Hristakeva and a Phelps so she had two different, competitive vaults 9.9/10.0
Miller also withdrew from FX, which allowed Ludivine Furnon into vault finals.

Strug had a Hristakieva and a front handspring tuck. Perhaps she didn’t thin she could medal with the handspring front tuck? She withdrew from US Nationals VT finals too.

Last edited:
Strug had a Hristakieva and a front handspring tuck. Perhaps she didn’t thin she could medal with the handspring front tuck? She withdrew from US Nationals VT finals too.
IIRC Kerri said she had a second vault but wasn’t super comfortable with it but Tom was adamant that she compete it but Kerri refused and that’s why she withdrew… does that sound familiar to anyone else(or did I make it up lol)

Last edited:
That sounds about right! She left Tom immediately after these Worlds IIRC.

It’s only just occurred to me that Miller got subbed into or out of the majority of major vault finals that quad.

In 1994, Miller was 4th qualified into VT finals and then finished 7th.

But she withdrew in 1993 and 1995 and subbed in 1996.

Side Note: Miller was the #1 VT qualifier at the 1992 Olympics.

Interesting that Miller is never thought of as a vaulter and yet she made every vault final from 1991-1996, skipping 1993 and 1995.

Last edited:
I mean, Miller has one of the most iconic vaults of all time.

Reactions: L_R

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back