Simone’s Yurchenko Double Pike

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Holy crap. I found it in some random Danish website that archived a US judge association newsletter.

Vault 3428 corrected to match the Code at 9.5 (handspring sideways w 1/4 turn and salto stretched).

That helped me find other documentation. It was sidespring to FRONT layout. So the Phelps vault, but MAG. Which totally makes sense given the way he did his Kas vaults, but totally does NOT make sense as a second vault after his first vault. Not allowed!

Weeeeeird.

Last edited:
I thought it might have been a layout Cuervo, since the Lou Yun was still a 9.8 in the 1997-2000 COP.

Anyone know what vault a 3.428 is? It was worth a 9.5 so I’m assuming he balked
Video here:

You know, I don’t have a copy of the 1997 code, so I can’t tell you. I think group 3 was front salto vaults then (with non salto vaults in the first group, full-twisting entry vaults in the second group, and kas/tsuk group IV, and roundoff all in group V).
Group 1: Direct (hect/stoop vaults), Group 2: handspring / Yamashita, Group 3: Kasamatsu / Tsukahara, Group 4: Front entry Full-on, Group 5: Yurchenko entries

@irichluck21 @Concorde Is my post clarifying everything not showing up? Your posts make me think not (and it would not be the first time I post the wrong way).

@ArnoldRimmer Having judged thousands of handsprings at the junior levels, I can assure you that he probably would not have medaled even in most state-level championships among 10 and 11 year olds. Shoulder angle, lack of height, way bent over on landing, and a hop. They also deduct for not accelerating in the run, so he might be lucky to score like 9.2. 🙂

@irichluck21 @Concorde Is my post clarifying everything not showing up? Your posts make me think not (and it would not be the first time I post the wrong way).
No, I saw your post. I just thought the additional commentary on the vault families might be of interest. 🙂

Oh.

Rene Tschernitschek didn’t have any business being in that final either. That vault is not only just a 9.5, but it’s also terrible.

He and Yang both should have withdrawn and let someone else with a real second vault have a shot.

Last edited:
I feel Yang Wei should get a bit of reputation bonus if he ever rocked up at a state championship though. Only right.

I am just confused if Yang Wei balked, or purposefully flashed a vault number and then just did a handspring?

Yeah I am glad they changed the vault qualification procedures. Remember when Blaine Wilson was the #1 qualifier for VT in Sydney and didn’t have a second vault?
He ended up rocking a kas 1/2 I think, but flubbed the Roche and nearly sat it down.

Also Vanessa Atler got hosed #1 in 1999 Worlds on vault just on score alone, but also she just missed the finals and others who did only one style vault made it in because you could repeat your vault in qualifications.

While I kinda miss the anticipation of seeing what gymnasts were going to do for a 2nd vault, I do think the FIG (finally) made a good decision about doing 2 vaults in TQ to be eligible for vault EF

Zmeskal was running through my head when I posted! LMAO
Miller did the same thing but didn’t fall at least.

All of those are embarrassments, but I guess it’s more on FIG than the athletes.

@tempest - Tsuk 1/1 tuck, but I wonder if she was going for a layout and just crunched on the table.
@RedBirdie Miles did a handspring front and was wayyyyy over.

Last edited:
Wasn’t there a Chinese gymnast who vaulted the compulsory vault as her 2nd vault in the 90s?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back