September 2022 US WAG verification

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I don’t think that they use a different pen with Chiles than the rest. I think that Chiles tends to have some of the errors that US judges deduct less frequently (see also Skinner, etc…), which at least means that gymnasts will see the same deductions/lack of across the meet and it shows more because she otherwise has very strong gymnastics. I think her scores improved when she moved to WCC because some glaring frequent mistakes did get fixed, and she started to look like she cared again. The difference was very noticeable.
Now, I do think they should be taking those deductions if they don’t! And I agree that the US facing international panels without addressing these issues has hurt many gymnasts. I just don’t think it’s isolated.

Last edited:
hopefully sending athletes out to World Cups and other assignments as Alicia said would happen will give the team a better idea of what reality is in terms of judging and then bring that home to the domestic judges

I am hoping that, combined with having a couple of brevet judges with a say in things, helps address the things that just went ignored for years, yeah.

We have definitely seen some World Cups with odd scoring though!

I don’t think that they use a different pen with Chiles than the rest. I think that Chiles tends to have some of the errors that US judges deduct less frequently (see also Skinner, etc…), which at least means that gymnasts will see the same deductions/lack of across the meet and it shows more because she otherwise has very strong gymnastics. I think her scores improved when she moved to WCC because some glaring frequent mistakes did get fixed, and she started to look like she cared again. The difference was very noticeable.
Now, I do think they should be taking those deductions if they don’t! And I agree that the US facing international panels without addressing these issues has hurt many gymnasts. I just don’t think it’s isolated.
Fully agree with this.

The actual difference in Jordan’s E scores between comparable routines (highest E scores) at trials and olympics was .266 on vault, .267 on bars, .4 on beam, and .767 on floor. However, the olympic floor routine from qualifying had significant form and landing deductions (in particular in her third pass) that she didn’t have in her trials routine, which accounts for much of the difference. A .2 - .4 difference is about what I’d expect to see from national to international panels for most gymnasts.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back