Score this UB routine

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

She did not hit her feet on the mat. Alternate angle here:

Taking another look at the Ezhova, it appears she may have actually hit her forearm against the low bar. However, it doesn’t seem like the fall against the apparatus deduction is appropriate here given that the placement of the arm doesn’t appear to be weight bearing, and she is able to continue immediately into the next element. Even considering a 0.5 for hit against the bar (though this is only listed as hit with feet in the COP), we would all still be a few tenths above the given E score.

another continent but this athlete is not to train in her own gym IN her country. De Jesus Dos Santos UB at Paris Challenge Cup v. this routine…hmmmm.
well a difference in MDJDS vs Nemour as it appears to be a political issue between coaches and the federation.

MDJDS is not without issue though, she admitted to Gymcastic that she was lost at the Challenger Cup because she could have no interaction with the Landis who were there coaching Chiles. She had to train with the national team members and the national team coach. The Landis training system is different than the French NT so it was a challenge to adjust.

Interestingly MDJDS returned to Texas. I had assumed she would stay in France until Worlds.

So time will tell if this training situation is ideal or if it harms her performance. She did say she was more confident than she has been in the past and training at WCC has done wonders for her own mental health.

But yeah, MDJDS experienced hiccups.

MDJDS has been fighting to not train in France for years. It was only recently that the French federation relented. Remember, Melanie is from Martinique and moved to mainland France at 13 (without her family, iirc) to pursue elite gymnastics. Texas is much closer to home for her, which was one of her motivations for wanting to train at WCC.

I don’t know anything more about the dispute, but I will observe that Nemour had some big difficulty as a junior before suffering injuries which as far as the French federation are concerned have forced her out of the sport at the age of 15. And that Avoine Beaumont currently have a 12 year old getting alarmingly high scores (and doing a DTY in competition).

Last edited:
Yes, they have Elena Colas (12 years old) who is better than some of our seniors. Watch her vault, beam and floor!
But I’m afraid she’ll break or suffer a growth sport before being a senior.

Reactions: MRR
I hope that Elena can navigate the next few years. A lot of potential there.

Is there a difference between gymnastics and figure skating when it comes to coaches on the floor? There are coaches switching jackets and credentials every 5 minutes to coach all their international students. USAG is always swapping coaches in and out, too. And the personal coaches always accompany the athletes in individual finals.

I remember the whole controversy with Youna Dufournet losing an UB medal at Euros because the coach who wasn’t her own coach touched her while spotting her Def. Of course that led to her own coach making a whole scene of not spotting her at a local comp and she injured her knee after missing the Def.

Is there a difference between gymnastics and figure skating when it comes to coaches on the floor? There are coaches switching jackets and credentials every 5 minutes to coach all their international students. USAG is always swapping coaches in and out, too. And the personal coaches always accompany the athletes in individual finals.
I am not sure what the exact rules are if any from the FIG. Not sure if jacket switching can occur.
It could also be that USAG told the Landis absolutely no interaction with MDJDS.
More likely it is coming from the French delegation who stated she couldn’t interact with the Landis but the national coaches instead.

IIRC, Bela was coaching Boginskaya part time in Atlanta, despite being with the Belarussian team. So who knows what changes, if any have occurred in 26 years.

I think you guys are missing the obvious deduction… wrong country of representation.
Absolutely this. Reputation/Political judging continues to exist and in general I know judges throw extra deductions at times, to make sure it doesn’t look like they missed something and are “in range” with the expected outcome.
In a thrilling plot twist, she completes an almost identical routine and gains an additional 1.25 in execution
Yep, hilarious.

I have 8.3 E for her Day 1 routine and 8.4 for her Day 2 routine.

The Ezhova mistake on Day 1 should have just been .1 grip adjustment deduction. Both days should be .3 for leg separation though. The Inbar 1/1 was much better on Day 1 (no angle deduction!), but she has .1 off for the cast handstand after the Ezhova there, .1 for legs on the Inbar Shaposh, and her swing into the Pak on Day 1 briefly had flexed feet that was noticeable enough for me to take .1 there.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back