Sanne Wever’s insane new skill

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

This was very instructive for me to see what Nabieva and others have been saying about Derwael and Lee (and previously Eremina). Nabs’ stays open and kinda floats over the bar whilst the others have a more obvious snap from an open to closed body position. Put side by side it’s a very obvious difference to me now. I prefer Nabs’ way by far
It is hard for me to notice body shape in real time on that skill. Very instructive.

It is not just World Cup event, it is any FIG recognized event. This year it also included the Continentals, since those were official FIG sanctioned events and part of qualification to the Olympics. Not sure if continentals will still be eligible or if that will go away.

She is not doing the all around, just bars and beam. So they need a strong all arounder with strength on vault and floor. This is why Elze Geurts winning the all around at the first trials and also debuting a double twisting yurchenko was huge for her.
Netherlands will only put up 3 on vault and floor in Tokyo.

I agree but I don’t love that European Gymnast X and American Gymnast Y might both be able to do “cool new skill” but because Euros is before Pan Ams, it gets named after Gymnast X. Probably a really rare chance of that occurring (and really, Gymnast X might make her country’s world team while gymnast Y doesn’t so it would be moot anyway).

Maybe I am over thinking this (or they should hold naming until after worlds and just name it after everyone who did it that year. That would be fun to try to abbreviate!)

Just in: Vincent Wevers, coach and father of Sanne and Lieke, wins lawsuit against the federation and is allowed to go to Tokyo as a coach.

He was suspended in July, because of allegations from gymnasts in the past. After a short investigation he was allowed to coach again, but under partial supervision. After a few months he could coach again without the supervision I guess.

Then all of a sudden the federation decides to ban all present coaches from the Olympics and make the men’s head coach the women’s as well. Plus Aimee Boorman (out of nowhere) and another female coach, who was coaching the juniors I think. Vincent and the others were allowed to go to euros and after that also the Olympic trials, but not the Olympics.

Whatever the outcome of the investigation, this was a wild decision and the ones who got hurt by it the most were the present gymnasts. The ones who said Vincent changed a ton over the past 10 years, something he said as well. Vincent acknowledged that he did wrong things and is very sorry.

Now while I’m not the one to decide what is best, because just a ‘sorry’ won’t cover up all the damage that has been done. And I would understand it if there will be sanctions. But this was just not the right thing to do at this point in time.

Last edited:
He is innocent until found guilty, the right decision by Dutch justice system.

He is innocent until found guilty, the right decision by Dutch justice system.
To play the devil’s advocate - how do you then reconcile allowing for the accused to continue with their day to day normal existence and then have them commit again the offence for which they are initially accused?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back