Sanne Wever’s insane new skill

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

You will NEVER be criticised on here for posting a Lieke floor routine haha.

That was gorgeous. I think I had 0.0 for artistry on that. Like you said, the floor piece in the middle was glorious. In the words of our Lord Jessica: CHILLS!

She has really worked on the spins. She’s no longer going for the triple L (good) and instead replacing it with the reliable double turn connection.

At 1:05 I was thinking DON’T YOU FUCKING DARE DO A WOLF TURN!. But no, it was all a ruse!

On the Front Full - you can tell that she surprised herself by the fall. She hardly ran into it at all, and she lifted it so high and opened out. Her coaches mouth was wide open!

I also often forget how old Lieke is. She literally looks like 20.

Last edited:
Well they’ve corrected it in the next Code. It’s going down to an F. I’m not mad about it.

But for this Code (i.e. Tokyo) they’re gonna have to give Sanna something. And they can’t give it a G. It has to be an H or an I. And precedent should really go with I. Going from Toe On to Clear Hip always gives a tenth. And adding a half twist always gives a tenth.

It would be quite unfair to not: (1) give this an I now; and (2) give it an H for the next Code.

Last edited:
I kept watching this floor and kept seeing shades of Nastia throughout that routine.

Yeah a little, but better.

Visually, I’m getting Isbaza 2013 vibes with better toepoint.

Sanne’s is actually pretty stretched/arched throughout, which I respect.

Have you all read about the “It’s not Nabs !” discourse? Nabieva commented “It’s not Nabs !” on this video posted by intlgymnast on Instagram of Derwael’s bars at Osijek.

She noted it’s a very difficult combination but not Nabs.

She also posted this on Fb in regards to the skill (and variations). And I maintain, the way she performs the element should be a G–Derwael and Lee should only get F credit.

With regards to Wevers’ release, Nabieva weighed in to say, “I would give the name Wevers! I hope so! technically very difficult element 🙏 ❤️

Last edited:
The Queen has spoken! I love that post from ‘Tati’! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: OT, but the baby sister of a childhood friend of mine called her big sis that - Tati! They were American of Argentine descent. Not sure if that nickname is common in Argentina!

Anyways, back ot, ITA with Nabieva! Just love her! And I love that she weighed in! 🤩🤩🤩❤️

Last edited:
Apparently Tatiana was saying “it’s not a Nabs” on a NINA video:

Last edited:
Omg 😍😍😍😍

Edited cause I totally missed the point.

Back on track, you just gotta luuuuv her getting all philosophical on the inherent layout beauty of this release skill and then looking like a crooked Y when making contact with the vaulting house. Wonder what Natalia had to say about that yurchenko entry.

Last edited:
I mean, if you compare nabieva to these other girls, she is truly layout throughout, which I don’t know shit but it does look like it’s much riskier for the regrasp too

Eta:

Last edited:
So apparently this is getting an H. The same as the Nabz 1/2 (which is now a Derwael…)

Sunisa Lee is the one who does best the Nabieva.

José M.

Okay, thank you–I thought I was the only one here who thought this. I have an untrained eye, but Nabieva is the only one who really lifts with her hips to set high above the bar and her shoulders are extremely open on release–other gymnasts seem to be setting a little behind them, methinks–this is why I always draw on the comparison of a Maloney w/ counter-rotation. Nabieva’s technique is very specific to the skill and is much harder and more beautiful. It really is it’s own element–it’s not nearly as exciting watching anyone else’s, thus maybe there should be discussions of downgrades for any pike at all…The element when performed as Tatiana deserves a G. Pointed feet and arms by her side too. That’s what the element looks like.

Last edited:
A Shaposhnikova requires greater arch on release than a Maloney–I’ve learned this much–so I suppose it’s not a surprise that the hip-hecht stretched Tkachev we see from Wevers is nicely arched.

I take it back, I’m very convinced of Wevers’ Nabieva variation lol. It’s just the split leg that I hate lol.

***k I triple posted–sorry friends <3

Last edited:
This was very instructive for me to see what Nabieva and others have been saying about Derwael and Lee (and previously Eremina). Nabs’ stays open and kinda floats over the bar whilst the others have a more obvious snap from an open to closed body position. Put side by side it’s a very obvious difference to me now. I prefer Nabs’ way by far!

Yes, there has been whining elsewhere about supposed rudeness. I think she was addressing that.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back