Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If he goes down, he will be replaced in the short term by a military government. Which is a scary thing for us.

On a gymnastics related note, the $800 million yacht of Alisher Usmanov, husband of Irina Viner, has been seized in Hamburg.

Listen, the ones that have been sanctioned are for sure feeling it. And the rich businessmen and oligarchs who have not yet been sanctioned are terrified and singing kumbiyah. No better way to get to the economic elite than to seize their assets. It’s working.

Also regarding gymnastics, Listunova leads VT and UB quals at Doha. It is incredible to me that this may be her last international meet. Chuso is 3rd on vault, and Minaeva is 3rd on bars.

It is incredible that this could be the final international competition for this group of Russian superstar women.

I’m curious about Nellie Kim’s role in the FIG’s decision making process.

Disgusting. I had to go away, take deep breaths, and think whether I was having a knee jerk reaction. It’s still disgusting to joke about this. People’s lives are ruined, people are dying.

But Mary Clare, as some of us have been asking, what would you suggest the world does?
Sit back and watch Ukraine burn? Give Putin everything he wants?
Attack with NATO and risk a nucleair war?

Sanctions inevitably hurt the people as well. The world is unfair, the rich people will always last longer. But if we keep letting Putin do his nasty business, he will never quit. And yes, Russian people will hate the west even more if we’re doing this and Putin will make us the villain. But that is on him, it’s pure manipulation of his own people.

And above all, what’s most unfair, by far, is what Putin is doing in Ukraine. To Ukraine. If anybody doesn’t give a damn about people, it’s him.
Edit: Because make no mistake, Putin is killing people. Civilians, like you and me. This is no “special military operation”, it’s pure war and a brutal invasion by Russia.

Last edited:
The world is unfair, the rich people will always last longer.
That is not necessarily true though. In times like this the less well off actually have an advantage in some ways. Very rich people tend not to do well when forced into survival mode. But we do have to ramp up the sanctions. Add more Russian banks to the Swift ban and sanction the Russian oil and gas industry. And do it today. Kabooom!!

But in terms of pure wealth and money they will last longer. Though I agree, their capability of dealing with this is usually low to non existent.

A lot of lawyers are going to be making a lot of money over the next few days

The economy here has always been precarious compared with western economies, so for that reason, the super rich do not have such a big chunk of their wealth in Russia. It is not them who are hit, it is the well off but not rich. Many of us have been hit twice, both by international sanctions and the resulting restrictions the government here had to place. Cannot withdraw, cannot transfer and our foreign currency accounts have been seized.

The West has been too soft on Putin (and Xi even more so). They both know it. Apparently they had an agreement to wait until after the Olympics. If you want to stop Putin quickly, you have to be willing to go to war with him.

I think Putin had a lot of respect for Trump. Probably they are quite similar character. I think for that reason, Putin was mostly quiet for a few years

Last edited:
To be fair that’s kind of an answer, in the form of, sanctions will not do it.

Europe just knows first hand that war is a lose-lose game, but i tell you, that is rapidly changing

Already Ukrainia has been sent arms from many NATO countries, so what is the difference to put men on the ground (or in the air)? I do not want a war with NATO, but that is the way to stop what is happening.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back