Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yes. By friendly I mean their demeanour was very much look guys, don’t get into trouble, makes life easier for all of us etc and introducing themselves by name rather than being aggressive or giving orders. They are definitely not doing this exercise for our reassurance or engage the community!

That’s the thing, isn’t it? If the athletes themselves are using competitions to promote their political stance, then the whole “sports should be above politics,” out the window. Russia should just be banned from international competition period.

Sports should be above politics, but it isn’t, no matter where you are. Look at the pressure athletes and teams were under last year to “take the knee”. To the point where the Olympics had to make a statement prohibiting it

It seems nothing is above politics. I’ve been debating with friends. At what point does ignorance cease being an excuse? At what point does lack of action and learned helplessness become complicity? No one has a good answer other than we suffer for what our governments do and don’t do.

Last edited:
I think for athletes here (remember they are on the state payroll) is what are the consequences of not being seen to support the government…

I think for athletes here (remember they are on the state payroll) is what are the consequences of not being seen to support the government…
I wonder if this would be sufficient, legally speaking, to be successful in a claim for asylum in the West.

I know it certainly works for gay men in Chechnya.

Can regular Russians get on planes to Europe/Canada now? I assume yes, indirectly. If I was living in Russia I’d be trying to get out I think.

Last edited:
Yes. It’s possible to get on a plane, but obviously there are not many international destinations can get to. It’s really Dubai, Beijing, Istanbul, Baku. Only around 25% of people here have a passport.

Last edited:
Dubai, Beijing, Istanbul, Baku
But from there you could fly to Europe or North America, right? Using a non-expired tourist visa. And then claim asylum.

Would be nerve-wracking trying to convince the dude at the port of entry you were only coming for a vacation though! I imagine they’ve all had a memo about Russians and Ukrainians coming in on tourist visas.

Last edited:
Well yes, if you have a valid visa, you can still travel. But you just don’t get significant Russians claiming asylum in neighbouring countries. I mean, we don’t border many sane, normal countries but St Petersburg is only an hour away from Finland

She says she hopes to wake up and for it all to be over. The most offensive thing in the post is the cut on that swim suit

I wonder if the Russians traveling will spread the word that their Instagram looks active. I think their info must be stored in other parts of the world. The word a few days ago was everything would be permanently deleted because it’s stored in Russia in Russian servers.

Last edited:
I wonder if this would be sufficient, legally speaking, to be successful in a claim for asylum in the West.

I know it certainly works for gay men in Chechnya.

Can regular Russians get on planes to Europe/Cana
They would only have an asylum claim if they had actually made anti Russia statements, were known to have anti anti war sentiments and therefore could make a claim for “a well founded objective and subjective fear of persecution” in Russia. I mean you do NOT have a claim for asylum just because you wish you could speak out but do not because you are afraid you would be targeted by your government

Why would we need to be travelling to do that? Anyone accessing Instagram via VPN in Russia can see that their account is still there. Plenty of people posting from within Russia

Majority of the thousands of people arrested for protesting have been kept in a cell for a few hours then released to await some sort of trial. So probably they could claim asylum

Could you travel, then make such statements FROM the USA, and then claim that you cannot return because you would be persecuted if you did?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back