Rules we need changed after the Olympics

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Should qualification scores carryover into event finals? Maybe weight qualifications 1/3 and event finals 2/3 of final score. It seems like to be bars champion (for example) you should be able to be great 2 days in a row. 🤷‍♀️

Maybe that would kill some drama that new life creates.

Maybe use qualification scores to break ties.

Maybe use qualification scores to break ties.
Am I right in remembering that this was used to break the three way tie for first on PH at 1997 worlds?

The problem with this is the potential for under/over scoring in specific subdivisions. I haven’t gone back and looked but there was suspicion that Ashikawa suffered from this in Tokyo.

I dont care what NBC wanted. Ive been watching EF since I was 11. One touch warm-ups didnt seem to bother anyone then…with the ability to stream, record/edit, etc. there is no excuse to risk injury to the athletes. Go to commercial. Show highlights of another sport. Bring back idiotic fluff pieces!!! LOL

I agree. 8 is plenty. Maybe allow the top 3 qualifiers regardless of 2-per country or just eliminate 2-per country for EF.

I suggested 12 in tandom with axing the 2-per rule because it would basically mean all the athletes who would’ve made top 8 with 2-per still make a top 12 final. Also it makes a tidy two warm-up groups.

Last edited:
Oh. I forgot about the problem of prelims score inflation in the late rotations.

I wouldn’t want prelims scores to be included. As well as prelims scoring sometimes varying across rotations, there are also issues like whether a person competes as an individual or as part of a team and where they have gone in the lineup could then end up being relevant in an EF. Obviously those can be relevant to who qualifies in the first place, but there’s nothing we can really do about that while those issues continue to exist. We don’t have to import them to the final.

Americans only care about watching Americans winning.
THIS^^^ is 100% accurate for 97% of the American audience, if the Americans don’t win they are losers. The amount of negativity that Simone has received from the non-knowledgable public is absolutely horrific. She is labeled as a “quitter”, “spoiled brat”, “entitled”, “self-centered”, “anti-American” and several more that I have seen in social media.

Not to mix threads. But, yes most American viewers only want to see winners. Look how quickly they turned on Simone.

Yeah, I’ve seen several complaints about shooting not being shown in prime time because US athletes won six medals there and that was the second most for US after swimming, at least until gymnastics finished up. Dan Wetzel also just wrote a column on Yahoo about how much gold medals matter versus any other because that’s what the medal tally is actually measured by. He literally called the other medals participation trophies. No wonder why athletes have mental health problems. Anything less gold is considered mediocrity by some. I’ve hated Dan since the 2006 Oympics when he said that any judged sport (figure skating, gymnastics, etc.) isn’t a sport.

Last edited:
My husband just recommended that we replace the medal counting dude with the count from Sesame Street. “One! ahahah… Two!.. ahahah…”
And I cannot argue against his logic here

Americans like to see winners, yes, but those aren’t really comparable articles. They are in response to people not understanding it was a safety issue, since that entire point was missing from the original response, and the fact that the post-finals press conference was completely mismanaged.

People see people who don’t win all the time in other sports (swimming) and they still cheer for them and show the silver and bronze medalists AND their medal ceremonies. The attitude comes from the NGB AND the commentators, and how they spin it.

Last edited:
And they are right wing publications that get their clicks off people hating minorities, women, and anything seen as not american enough (by their definition of american)

Last edited:
@QuietColours post 89. I really, really appreciate you doing this! Thank you so much.

Can you combine together all tie break stuff in one place?
Can you combine together all vault format stuff?
Can you delete the US specific stuff? Let’s work on that elsewhere?

Additional things to include:
  • Simplify bars bonuses to:
    • element after flight: +one letter; if after flight to front support, +two letters
    • flight + flight on high bar: +0.1 bonus additional
  • Keep 8 skills but make choreography an actual element (different ways to do this) on beam and floor, rated A to E, and simplify deductions to penalize poor dancing
  • allow 1.5 pirouettes to finish at 30°

Last edited:
Simplify Beam Bonuses: upgrade one letter each for connecting after…
  • flight (acro/dance)
  • two foot punch, except dismounts
  • spin or twisting flight (1/2 or more, acro or dance)
  • loosing sight of the beam (forward, head release)
  • third or later element of a rhythmic series
Remove deduction for rhythm in the connection. The rules above will need it less, and D-panel can either grant it or not so that E-panel doesn’t have to wonder.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads