Rules we need changed after the Olympics

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Ties are allowed in sports that are not subjective, i.e. not scored by judges.

Subjective sports have to attempt to break the tie.

Except boxing has 2 bronze medalists each time, right? It is a judged sport…

It’s more to do with the FIG not standing up to the IOC because they are hoping for Cheerleading or Parkour or whatever to be added

I thought I minded ties, but I realized I really don’t care. I’d rather have more accurate score differentiation, and then let ties be when they arise. It’s just stupid that of all the numbers the judges have available to them (0-16 ish down to the tenth decimal point), AND averaging scores from judges, we have 5 gymnasts scoring within 3 tenths of each other (or whatever it was) in the floor final, and two of them tying. Fix the math, don’t take it out on the athletes. I’m glad Mai and Melnikova both got medals. Like, I have an opinion on which one was better, but I realized I just don’t care anymore.

Compulsories!
I don’t see this happening. BUT what could happen is to strengthen the CR’s and deduct the fuck out of them.

It is a fucking travesty that cat leap full to straddle side leap satisfies the dance CR on floor.

Bring back cross split as a requirement on beam and floor. And make at least one of the two elements in the dance series count for CV. It won’t change much on floor but it would stop “Split Wolf” on beam.

They absolutely need to downgrade wolf turns. Root max isn’t enough.

Include the R Panel in the regular E score is a doozy. 5 scores count (not drop the top 2 and bottom 2).

Have a separate A Panel and publish it (I know - broken record).

Upgrade Tsuks across the board by 0.1.

Downgrade Silivas and Chuso to G.

Upgrade Biles on beam to H.

Last edited:
0.1 more isn’t enough for Tsuks. They are dying out on the women’s side. I would class all round off entry vaults as one group personally and require 2 vaults of different groups in qualification for all gymnasts. Vault is in danger of becoming a contest in who has the less rubbish Cheng

It was a shame yesterday, looking at the athletes with very respectable rudis and DTT/Kas full, knowing there was no chance of them competing for medals because the D score wasn’t there.

I miss the days of a Yurchenko and Tsuk pairing being common. So many excellent vaulters combined the two.

I asked Zamo a few years ago (she’s now a judge) about why she thought her (and Lobaz) combination of DTY and DTT had vanished. She said that in Russia when her generation were junior gymnasts they spent a lot of time perfecting the Tsuk entry as it was not only part of compulsories, but part of the national compulsory programme in Russia. National compulsories still exist until gymnasts reach master of sport candidate but the vault is now a yurchenko, not a tsuk as it’s considered more useful.

Also applying to everyone is the requirement of just 1 vault for the AA now and the vaulting table making yurchenko 1/2 on vaults being safer and easier than on the horse.

Added to all this, those two were around in the quad where being a strong vaulter was most advantageous. Not a coincidence, I don’t think, that 97-00 saw so many innovations. If you had two hard vaults you were going to be rewarded, and not just in the vault final.

Yes. As mentioned elsewhere, in the open ended code era, the shift has moved to high difficulty on bars being the most advantageous to a AA gymnast

It’s not a rule per se, but I feel like every major broadcaster should have a commentator that at least takes a judging course. I am getting tired of “I don’t know where they are finding these deductions.” In a few cases I’ve thought, “You darn well should know,” and at other times I’ve thought, “Aren’t you the slightest bit curious?” But it does the public no good to be told misinformation and to be taught to think that the judges always just dislike the athletes or something similar.
Edit- Maybe it could be a rule. Maybe the FIG could get a broadcast team an approved rating if they have someone who is trained or somesuch.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads