Rules we need changed after the Olympics

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Do any TV broadcasters other than NBC hold any sway whatsoever with the FIG? I’m just so confused as to who they are trying to appease when NBC puts most major competitions on tape delay.

That’s my question too. If it ain’t live, who cares?

It’s nothing to do with FIG. We get the same IOC feed here in England on BBC. We just don’t have the broken up with commercial breaks. Sometimes we see the warm up, sometimes they replay good routines they didn’t show live in that rotation, sometimes it cuts to the studio for Beth Tweddle to give analysis

Absolutely agree with this and think it would help draw in the more casual fans that don’t understand scoring. Having champions with 8.4 scores is ridiculous. The best routines getting low 9’s and average routines getting mid 8’s(like on vault) is absolutely a sufficient way to separate the athletes.

People don’t get confused when divers get 6.5s or whatever. You just know that that is an average dive. 8s and 9s are great dives. If gymnastics scores follow a similar pattern, people will figure it out. And NBC at least got their stoplight thing improved by comparing the number to recent international scoring instead of just some arbitrary “2 points off E score is bad” like they used to have. One thing I think needs to be avoided is excess precision. Like, in synchronized swimming getting a 192.1437 or whatever is just an absurd level of precision. And the scores in the early 00s were also getting absurd with the hundredths deciding the events.

Denn: Are there enough judges? To do it at home USA is either short of judges or stupid at planning.
For apparatus finals? Absolutely! There are either 3 or 5 sets of judges sitting around doing nothing the whole time! 😛

I’ve known it to happen once at RG Nationals in Russia, which is always an annual get together for the RG diaspora. 40% of RG brevets worldwide are USSR born

Mandatory one touch. Change two per country to three. Increase event finals to 12 not 8. Spread out the qualifying meets in the US over a longer period of time. They should not be dong classics, champs and trials one after another like that! It is insane!! Finally I think more domestic meets to get experience for new elites and more international meets for that exposure.

Is there a way to get some of the more unanimous suggestions, like one-touch and vault execution, to the FIG and have them take it at all seriously?

People always bring up compulsories, and I think it’s a terrible idea to bring it back as part of major competition, but I just had an idea that would also solve other problems, too:

No athlete can compete at an FIG competition without submitting a video showing an 8.0 or higher on the compulsory exercises for the apparatus they will compete. The video must be submitted to FIG for (asynchronous) judging along with registration.

Not sure I like the idea, but I like it better than making the compulsory a phase of live competition.

While I agree that it might not be practical, especially since the men in general don’t seem to be struggling as mightily without it, but you can’t deny that the quality of movement was far superior across the board on the women’s side with it.

Frankly, I miss the carryover scoring with the compulsories specifically. (though before my time) I’m glad you’ve mastered your optional elements, but I’d like to see your complete mastery of the apparatus too.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads