Rules we need changed after the Olympics

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Thanks for the question, @mnesiptolema. To start with, yes, I am trying to see if there is a solution to FIG’s piecemeal rule-making (and that’s a great way to put it, btw!).

And I honestly feel that the best way to make logical, transparent “updates”, if you will, to the Code would be to have a sort of general definition of what artistic gymnatics is supposed to represent or “look like”.

@Denn I 100% agree that a 6-7 person committee should not be deciding this for everyone. Were any decision to be made to, yes, write down a definition of the sport that describes what routines on each apparatus should look like (and for me, that means what physical abilities should be showcased. Someone else may have a different approach, let’s hear them!), then obviously this is a big thing and should be overwhelmingly supported by the Federations. I’m sure they have some requirement for voting on a big change, like 2/3 or 3/4 of all federations or something.

So, that’s why I keep coming back to a definition. Without one, who can really say whether or not a rule change is good or bad?

So, I’d do it like this if I was FIG president. 1) Have an meeting of the executive council where I suggest the idea. If the Exce council is on board, 2a) instruct the WTC to hammer out a starting point definition and concurrently 2b) send out a memo to all of the Federations saying something like "We believe that a definition of the various disciplines in gymnastics would be a great boost to transparency in the way the rules are written. To this end, I have instructed the Technical Committees to draft an initial reading for their discipline. In addition to the current committee members, three athlete representatives will also be attached to the committee (again, just tossing ideas out there, maybe you’d want to include legends in the process like Tourischeva, or one of the Chinese greats). Of these three athletes/other reps, at least one should have retired over 10 years ago, and one within the past two years. All Federations are invited to submit proposals over the next 60 days. At the end of that time, the Technical Committees will finialize a draft within 30 more days. This will be followed by 30 more days of discussion in which each federation is invited to participate. Once a finial verion is written, it will be voted on as a [whatever you call the vote for a “big change”] at the Genral Assembly (or whatever that is called) to be held on such and such a date.

If I was president of FIG, of course I would couch this in all sorts of language to make a point that the reason for my idea is to make it far more transparent why various rules are made. I would also make it clear that a definition should be open to all cultures, it should not end up favouring one over the others. Maybe that would even be in the preamble, I don’t know … “In order to form a more transparent approach to directing the growth and progress of our sport in a way to bring it to all cultures and peoples, we hearby adopt the following definition of artistic gymnastics and the following descriptions of expectations on each apparatus.”

Personally, I would also include a wording/reasoning behind the concept of an “All-Around” gymnast and require that the Code be written and updated in a way that ensures that on average a certain level of mastery will result in similar scores across events.

Is this a good or bad idea? I mean having a definition? The biggest reason I think we should have a definition is to preserve some kind of image of artistic gymnastics. To get back to @mnesiptolema 's question about what I feel is missing from routines, I guess by biggest concern is the direction balance beam is going. I’d rather not see it try to emulate power tumbling. I really don’t want to just see tumbling awarded above all else on three out of four events.

If the definition of a routine on beam really emphasized that foremost the routine should show balance and precision, then I think would be be perfectly fine to write rules that cap acro skills at G, maybe differentiate beam and floor by requiring 4 dance and 4 acro skills on beam and leaving floor with 3/5 or 5/3 as a gymnast sees fit. I, think (but may be wrong) that if acro was limited to 4 skills, then athletes would have to pay more attention to not wobbling.

Also, the beam specific deductions could be upped a lot, imo. For example, they are nearly the same for beam and floor. Would it be the end of the world if “insufficient amplitude…” was a 0.1 deduction on floor, but a 0,3 deduction on beam? Or maybe add a 0,3 and 0,5 deduction to “Poor rhythm in connection (with DV)” How would that change beam routines is gymnasts were suddenly risking a 0.5 deduciton in their dance connections? Would they pay a lot more attention to “fine tuning” them?

If the definition clearly mentioned that an all around performce is meant to award gymnasts who have a mastery of various types of physical skills, and it is clear that different skills are emphasized on different events and that an “excellent” performance on vault should score similar to an “excellent” score on floor and likewise “average” scores should be similar across apparatus, then that would be a sort of reference point to any change in how, for example, CV is awarded on any given event.

Rather than “piecemeal” saying “we should really give 0.2 tenths to F+D connections on bars”, the WTC would have to weigh how that would affect D scores on bars and whether that would put them out of sync with D scores on floor. They’d have to say “Okay, we do want to award that, but if we do, then how will we adjust floor scoring so CV is easier to in the same ballpark?”

Does that make better sense now? Do you see where I’m coming from?

EDIT TO ADD: Writing to quickly there, regarding the poor rhythm. a 0.5 mistake for poor rhythm would probably mean there wasn’t any connection anyways!

Last edited:
Or the static pose requirement on beam 2001-2005. We got half-assed arabesques as a result.
Yeah I was excited about this requirement but wasn’t it removed mid-quad because it was such a mess?

I can’t remember, but I think it stayed through Athens?

And yeah, it was a nice idea, but when the FIG got rid of rewarding ROI, there was no point in doing dynamic and interesting static poses.

Last edited:
double + triple wolf spins being so common on BB and FX.
Someone should do a 5/1 wolf spin on beam and then petition the D score and claim “that was a 3/1 + 2/1 perfectly connected; E+D, +0.2 CV baby!” and mic drop.

And yeah, it was a nice idea, but when the FIG got rid of rewarding ROI, there was no point in doing dynamic and interesting static poses.
I wonder if it would work under an open-code where it had to count? Would we see a whole bunch of interesting balances submitted as new elements or would everyone do the same difficult balance poorly? (a la L spins on beam 2006-8)

Dvora Meyers wrote this insightful article for The Defector that really illuminates why the WAG code is such a hot fucking mess. It’s well worth your time. In short: sexism, racism, and a whole lot of backwards thinking.

(I believe you get a couple of free articles each month on Defector, but if you view it in Incognito mode, you can get around it)

So if we want to understand what’s going on with Simone Biles’ valuations, we have to include not just other gymnasts whose contributions were undervalued, but also decades of the sport’s history, going back even to its earliest days in the Olympic movement. Women’s gymnastics was created to be a feminine sport, and the femininity that it promoted was the white, Eurocentric kind. As the sport progressed from its very white, very dancey origins and increased in acrobatic complexity, the WTC and FIG held fast to a certain set of self-consciously feminine artistic ideals that were seen as being at odds with the more athletic components of gymnastics.

And so, instead of shaping the sport’s future, they created a set of rules with one eye cast back towards the past. That nostalgia for a bygone era didn’t lead to all these reboots of ’90s sitcoms on streaming services, but it did result in something equally bad: an institution caught off guard by every new development in the sport, and which responds to every such breakthrough by trying to stuff the genie back into the bottle. The WTC and FIG as a whole are simultaneously reactive and reactionary. As a result, boundary-pushing gymnasts like Biles, Liu, Maldonado, Seitz, and many others are being penalized by an institution that wants to party like it’s still 1969.
“The question of (masculine) risk versus (feminine) artistry was finally brought before the FIG General Assembly in 1975,” Cervin writes. “President Arthur Gander told delegates, ‘We should perhaps now ask ourselves if the moment has not now arrived when we should mitigate the trend towards ‘risk’ and ‘difficulty’ which are rapidly becoming more important than deportment and execution. We should take care that artistic gymnastics do not degenerate into pure acrobatics with risk to life and limb.’”

While Gander’s concern for the safety of the athletes was touching, the women, in most instances, were simply adopting acrobatic elements that had been performed by the men for several years. The difference was that acrobatics weren’t seen as being at odds with the purpose of men’s gymnastics, which has its origins in militaristic training of the 18th and 19th centuries. Similarly, the men’s technical committee didn’t feel the need to intervene on behalf of male gymnasts’ safety because those male gymnasts, in their quest to add more flips and twists, weren’t seen as betraying the core values of their sport. (And it is an almost entirely different sport—there is very little crossover between the men’s apparatuses and the women’s.) The concern for the athletes’ well-being that Gander and others were expressing for female gymnasts was, in other words, bound up entirely in their gender. What was appropriate for the men wasn’t appropriate for the women, because the women’s sport had a different mandate from the very beginning.

I thought they got rid of the static requirement before 2003. Carly Patterson took hers out at some point.

Last edited:
I feel like some of the deductions are way out of wack, in relation to each other.

For example, awful crossed legs on a beam dismount is 0.1. And yet a Chinese girl pausing before a glorious Yang Bo jump is also 0.1. And Saraiva not quite closing the ring in her ring leap - also 0.1. And Simone putting her feet together to prep for her BHS BHS Double Double dismount - also 0.1.

The FIG has boxed itself in with this 1,3,5 model. I think simply bringing back a half tenth deduction would do a lot here. And also allowing judges to take 1,2,3,4,5 for body shape (instead of 1,3,5).

Last edited:
This conversation’s older than dust, tho. I think they tried to address it by deducting the shit out of things so then the 0.1s will be actually ok for the really minimal errors, but I really wished they went for a more wholistic 0.05-0.5 kind of approach. That’d entail 0.15s and 0.25s and such. Bring on 5 decimal point scores: 14.733574

And Simone putting her feet together to prep for her BHS BHS Double Double dismount - also 0.1.
btw since then is this a deduction? 😵 what now they gotta tumble from whatever feet position they find themselves in after the last skill?

btw since then is this a deduction? 😵 what now they gotta tumble from whatever feet position they find themselves in after the last skill?
You can do it if you dance while doing it. Simple feet together without waving your arms is an Adjustment - 0.1.

Yeah, I don’t buy the preimises of that article. Sure, women’s artisitc gymnastics was born in an era of misogyny. But I don’t think think the article’s arguments really apply here. It’s a click-bait article as far as i’m concerned. May have some valid points, but is drawing incomplete and imo, wrong, conclusions.

For examepl, in my opinion there is no problem with having women perform risky moves. The problem is that unlike the men (!) 75% of WAG apparatus currently favours those risky tumbling moves. Gymnastics should not be that out of balance.

We must not forget that MAG has
  • parallel bars, emphasizing rhythm in mostly swinging moves,
  • high bar, which is also a swing apparatus.
  • pommels, emphasizing rhythym in support moves and
  • rings, emphasizes static strength and get this - balance. (Whoa, what a concept, I know! To imagine that a gymnast ought to master balance!)
Tumbling is only a component on 33% of events, just vault and floor. MAG inherently has a more well distributed pattern of physical skills. Just because you are a super great tumbler does not mean you are a super great p-bars worker. Whereas for the women, if you are a super great tumbler, you’ve already got a great grasp of 75% of the events you need for an all-around performance. And imo, it’s not very “All-around” compared to the men.

So, in fact, one could argue the FIG is (awkwardly) trying to help the women be more all-around athletes like the men!

Personally, I think that rhythm and balance is not inhernetly “feminine” - MAG are also required to show it, as I point out above, though perhaps a description of what MAG should perform on floor might make MAG floor more interesting and not just back and forth tumbling.

Yes, the article insists that WAG is “Blasting into the Future”, and if FIG actually wrote that “yes, this is the future we want!” Okay, I’ll live with that. But we (the member federations of F.I.G.) haven’t even voted on that.

But the author is getting hung up on Biles being given an H for her double-double beam dismount. And somehow not giving her an I is bad. The author ignores that at the same time, FIG rewarded her double pike yurchenko vault, her floor tumbling skills, Jade’s tumbling, Daiane dos Santos’ tumbling before that … FIG absolutely awards risky tumbling where risky tumbling is supposed to be awarded.

Why does it have to be awarded on beam? I’m saying it doesn’t. I want more balanced WAG, just like MAG is better balanced.

So, to be quite frank, I think this author had a point of view going in and cherry-picked arguments to support that.

if you are a super great tumbler, you’ve already got a great grasp of 75% of the events you need for an all-around performance
Jade Carey’s Straddle Jump 1/2 crossways on beam says otherwise!

You can do it if you dance while doing it. Simple feet together without waving your arms is an Adjustment - 0.1.
and if she were to look at the judges in the eye really tellingly and then put her feet together? is that art? who da f*** writes these things, nellie kim’s youngest nephew?

I thought they got rid of the static requirement before 2003. Carly Patterson took hers out at some point.
The change was effective March of 2002, along with the removal of the uneven bars special requirement of having a low bar element with minimum B value. For example, Tasha Schwikert removed the split stag handstand from her balance beam routine following the American Cup. Similarly, on bars, Hollie Vise removed the stalder she used to perform on the low bar following the Podium Meet.

I honest to God have NO IDEA what they mean with 0.1 adjustment. What is the rationale behind this deduction? Any gymnast is going to adjust somehow if they have a pause before a skill. I don’t understand what they want

along with the removal of the uneven bars special requirement of having a low bar element with minimum B value
This was also a shame. I like routines where gymnasts actually used the low bar so the bail-some form of shoot as the only low bar work in a routine annoyed me. I was never a big Douglas fan but I did appreciate her low bar sequence.

Sorry, @Sanzhirovka , but there IS a clear definition in the Code of Points of what each apparatus should represent.

In fact, for beam, it’s a whole column tall.

And, in my opinion, it should all be deleted. It’s just blah blah blah, not rules that are enforced. If it’s not a rule, it should not be in the Code. And if it’s important, it should be a rule.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads