Rules we need changed after the Olympics

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think there are two possible solutions to the “how do you properly reward a split leap past 180”:
1: Award .1 additional DV for taking the split past X degrees.
2: When robojudges exist, begin issuing fine-grained split deductions and bonus. A perfectly 180 degree split is neutral; give bonus for going beyond.

1 seems like a better fit with the existing structures available. If you can get .1 for going sideways, why not .1 for getting your legs up an extra, say, 20 total degrees?

I will say, I don’t think hyperextended knees should be considered or rewarded.

The thing is, if 180 is neutral but past 180 is a bonus, then 180 isn’t really neutral, it is a deduction as much as 170 would be from 180. It is just written in a different way. If they set a position for a skill and someone goes beyond it, there shouldn’t be a bonus. Either update the required position to the new standard or accept that someone going above and beyond doesn’t get anything for it.

I wish Flavia’s rings on beam got extra credit, but if that is what they want them to look like, the rules should be written to reflect that. And the more they nitpick and prescribe more and more extreme positions, the fewer people who will be interested in participating or will be able to afford the lifetime of training required to have the flexibility and skills needed to participate.

I find this arguement disingenuous however. Why are you getting hung up on 180 degrees?

My entire point is that FIRST, the WTC should define what is to be expected from artistic gymnasts as a sport. And by that I mean they truly ought to decide what physical abilites they want the sport to showcase.

And my opinion is that artistic gymnastics should award gymnasts who can show mastery of several types (manifestations, if you like) of physical abilities, namely power, rhythm, balance/precision and the ability to mix them.

I think this is why originally the four events were chosen. Vault highlights power, bars rhythm, beam balance (it’s in the freaking name of the apparatus!) and then you have floor where you ought to show that in addition to mastering these abilities you can combine them in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

Most of the points being made here, by you and others, are along the lines are “well she is great at bars and not bad at floor (Derwael)”. But I don’t care that she is great at bars, I want someone performing on bars to show that they have mastered rhythm in an exercise. (Derwael does, fwiw.)

People are failing to see my point when they are talking about bars vs other apparatus. To be fair, I have not really gone into it but here you go. Currently, bars ALSO FAVOURS POWER, but more in terms of endurance. The CV on bars do not promote rhythm, ihe prescribed connections promote endurance from one powerful skill to another. (To be fair, the deductions do encourage rhythm, so not all is lost.)

Seriously, though, break it down. The reason girls really good at bars have such higher D Scores comes down to CV. Because it’s possible to link a bunch of skills in a row. Some even link up to five. That kind of CV is nigh impossible to achieve on floor and I’d say harder to achieve on beam. The series bonus is a step in that direction though. A cursory look at D scores in Olympic qualifications bears this out; if you look as a whole at the top 25 results a trend is clear.

So, again, it all comes down to how we want to define artistic gymnastics as a sport. And we need the definition because gymnastics is not an objective sport like basketball which has clearly defined points, let alone the 100m sprint which is simply seconds.

Particular to my argument, I have to take up your phrase:
And the more they nitpick and prescribe more and more extreme positions, the fewer people who will be interested in participating or will be able to afford the lifetime of training required to have the flexibility and skills needed to participate.
How does that even makes sense? That’s an argument that can be applied to any sport. As it is, currently fewer and fewer people will be able to afford the lifetime of training required to have the power to perform a triple-twisting double layout. But that’s the direction the sport is moving right now. How many people have the will to dedicate thier lives to mastering the strength of power lifting? Well, plenty of people do and those who don’t simply choose something else. And the officials in power lifting are so nit-picky! It’s like all they care about is kilograms!

I say, define the sport. Then let those who want to dedicate their lives to it do so. In a subjective and evolving sport like ours, obviously there will be developments - progress or regression depending on your likes and dislikes. But a basic definition what physical mastery we want to see, rather than what can they do on this piece of equipment, no limits, would help keep the sport identifiable.

For example (and I know I’m driving this point again, but I’m just trying to be clear as possible), “Gymnasts should master balance and precision. The chosen apparatus to display this mastery is the balance beam. And here are the rules that guide gymnasts toward balance- and precision- oriented routines on that apparatus”.

Currently, we have “Here is a balance beam - show us what you can do it on.” And soon we will wonder why we even call it the “balance” beam. An outsider might think it is a “super narrow tumbling strip thingy”. And before you know it, it will gain a centimetre in width and double the spring.

Fine, if that’s what you want. But it’s not what I want. And to avoid senseless arguing about what skills should be allowed on beam and what they should be valued, it would help to know precisely what we expect a beam routine to showcase. Then we can discuss whether a skill or deduction is in line with that definition.

I’d be more than happy to hear people’s opinions on what physical abilities they want gymnasts to master. But I’ve not seen much of that yet in this thread.

Please see my unfortunately lengthy response to makam. First, do we want to reward a split leap past 180? If yes, what is the reasoning behind that? And please do not say “because it’s harder”.

Rather, tell me that you think gymnasts ought to prove they can master splits as part of an overall mastery of flexibility. And if that is the case, give me some examples of how you want in-bar stalders to be graded if, presumably, you think flexibility covers deep pikes, should shoulder flexibility and so on.

Does you have an over-reaching -arching “rule” on how flexibility should be rewarded in general?

In addition, what other general categories of physical abilities do you think ought to be awarded? And would you write rules in a way that every apparatus requires those skills to be shown? If not, (ahem, how are you going to judge flexibility on vault?), then what physical abilities should be mastered on which individual apparatus?

Last edited:
if that is what they want them to look like, the rules should be written to reflect that
YES! Let’s start there! What do we want them to look like and why?

I also think hip turn out should be included in the evaluation of a spilt. For example, Jade Carey hits her splits, but her hips are so splayed out.

I don’t know how the robojudges will evaluate this.

But why do you think that? Are you coming from a point of view aethetics? Or are you meaning to say hip turn out is the technically correct way to do a split, regardless of aesthetics? Or do you mean something else?

What general rule would you write to which you could point as a reason you believe hip turn should be included in the evaluation of a split? If you do have a general rule, what other “aesthetically pleasing” evaluation rules do you think could fall under it? How might other skills or positions be affected by such a rule? An inbar stalder for example?

Last edited:
Hip turn out is neither aesthetically pleasing nor the correct way to do the skill. It’s a cross split with hips almost in a straddle position. It makes it easier to perform and it looks cheap. None of the Russians do it.

I believe it used to be a deduction before they nixxed it to say “as long as it hits 180 you can’t deduct for split”.

Okay, fine. I misunderstood, simply read it as “correct hip turn-out” which of course ought to mean foward split with hips in the cross/straight position. I am not a native English speaker when it comes to gymnastics terms. (It took me quite some time to figure out what an orphan half turn on bars is, but I finally got it!)

Anyhow, I am presuming that you mean the hips should be in some sort of correct position and when they are not, then the split should be devalued/deducted/thrown out a window to hungry hyenas.

I’m not sure you even understood the point of my asking you, because you completely missed it.

Am I being that unclear about it? I’m trying to say that people are missing the forest for the trees. Why are you concerned about hip placement in splits? Why? And I’m not saying you shouldn’t be, I’m truly trying to get to whatever is behind that opinion. “Easier to perform and looks cheap” - can you phrase that in a general way? Do you think in-bar stalders often look cheap and are performed in an easier way than they ought to be? Is there something in common between cheap looking inbars and turned out hips that says something about a vision of gymnastics?

Maybe instead of asking for comments on my arguments, I should simply ask if anyone has any idea what I’m talking about.

Last edited:
Hahaha me too. I had no idea what everyone meant by orphan half turn, but it turns out it’s the most Russian thing ever.

I find jumps and leaps in generally are judged far too leniently in WAG. Very rarely is the shape, amplitude and form adequate. This is because they don’t want to make the beam overly acrobatic.

It’s in the compulsory bars routine up to the 3rd class, the level before Candidate Master of Sport so it’s very imbedded!

@Sanzhirovka I’m not entirely sure what you’re looking for. What do you think is missing in routines today that you want to see return? Or is your motivation to fix the piecemeal rule-making of the FIG?

I will say this… the athletes generally feel that there are too many deductions for things that don’t matter to them.

And I am not sure that a committee of 6 or 7 should be deciding the overall look and feel of the sport unless it is to reflect the overall direction the athletes, coaches, and yes, fans, want to see.

Yes, it must be frustrating for athletes that other than on vault, it’s impossible to get into the 9s. This isn’t what open ended scoring was supposed to do. There is no reason that routines that would have, 20 years scored in the mid 9s, now receive e scores in the low 8s

Absolutely. D scores are, roughly, 7.0 max, mid 5 can make an event final with excellent execution. Execution scores should be a (at least roughly compatible) 10 max, 8.5 E makes an event final with awesome difficulty.

I mean, I’m okay with them using the full 10 points available. In 10.0 system they mostly used the last 1.3 numbers on the scale then went to the hundredths place to differentiate. Maybe 9.787 vs 9.775 (gold and silver on bb in athens) feels better for the gymnasts but if the deductions are taken as written, I’m okay with 8.033 vs 8.233 (E score difference between gold and silver this year). Rio was 8.866 vs 8.933. Did the deduction rules change in the last quad or were the judges told to find any muscle twitch and deduct for it? I guess the question should be, should the rules be so nitpicky that they can get to those Tokyo numbers on otherwise great routines…

Sanzhirovka’s points remind me of an old IG editorial. It was something like there’s nothing wrong with gymnasts finding the easiest ways to more marks, the problem is what those routines look like. FIG is a very reactive organisation (just look at the qualification rules for EF medalists vs AA medalists), they don’t seem to think about the consequences of their rules and what routines will look like e.g. double + triple wolf spins being so common on BB and FX.

Or the static pose requirement on beam 2001-2005. We got half-assed arabesques as a result.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads