Pre-Olympics Discussion (Injured athletes, named teams, other news) starting 5/9/24

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Hatsumomo

Defender
A Pre-Olympics Injury thread can be made that can encompass all WAG and MAG. So far for WAG we have: Jess Gadirova, Ondine Achampong, Yamaguchi Sara, Asia D'Amato, and now Georgia Godwin.

Last edited:
Someone made a post on Reddit about gymnasts injured in the last year. I do wonder if the shorter quad is a contributing factor.

So very happy for her. She's waited so long to make the Olympics and I'm glad the NZ Fed is allowing her to go
I figured they would, since they accepted her nationality change.

Ironic thing is with Godwin out, GRB might have been the best choice to replace her.

Someone made a post on Reddit about gymnasts injured in the last year. I do wonder if the shorter quad is a contributing factor.

It can't have helped.

There's also the new worlds qualifying system. There are some gymnasts from countries who won't qualify teams who in the past would've had a guaranteed individual spot, but now are doing world cups, continentals are sometimes both.

And also, there are more full team competitions now than there used to be. So even countries who could send a B team to continentals and still qualify full teams for worlds have a new incentive to go full out. So for example GB and Italy were never in any danger of missing worlds. But the creation of a team European title in the pre-Olympic year meant they were both motivated to send full strength, peaked teams out in March 2023.

Based on nationals, it would be a shock if the Australian team wasn't Ruby Pass, Breanna Scott, Kate McDonald, Emily Whitehead and Emma Nedov.

No Georgia Godwin hurts because with her, this team could have jumped having to TF potential but there is still some really strong routines, particularly on bars and beam.

Is Giorgia Villa injured again? I'm really sure I read an article about her comeback in April and how she would compete at Jesolo but since then .... crickets 🦗🦗🦗

Australia without Georgia Godwin is weaker on vault and floor, but great that Ruby Pass vaulted a DTY and a Lopez at Nationals. Breanna Scott did not do her double layout mount on FX but dismounted bars with a double layout with full twist in second flip!

Is Giorgia Villa injured again? I'm really sure I read an article about her comeback in April and how she would compete at Jesolo but since then .... crickets 🦗🦗🦗
From her Instagram on 4/23, I’m not sure it’s sure a translation issue but something is wrong. Sorry my Italian isn’t very good.

Michelle Pineda, now representing Mexico, won the all around at the Pan American Championships with a 52.500. Luisa Blanco got the continental quote at Pan American Games with a 50.099.
Granted separate meets. But I wonder if the 24 Championships were to be used as the continental qualifier if Pineda would be going to Paris and not Blanco.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back