Potential upgrades ahead of Worlds

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

The gainer stretched w/ 2 twists is rated E and the gainer tucked w/ 1.5 twists is rated D. I presume tucked w/ 2 twists would also be an E which is asinine

The gainer stretched w/ 2 twists is rated E and the gainer tucked w/ 1.5 twists is rated D. I presume tucked w/ 2 twists would also be an E which is asinine
Gainer 2/1 tuck will get a D rating. Backwards 1.5 and 2.0 twist skills with single salto have consistently been rated the same.
I miss good Amanars, but I don’t miss when everyone and their mother would just throw it up and hope for the best because of the difficulty advantage.
Amanar is not worth enough right now though, I’d like to see it bumped up a little. In general forward-landing vaults be worth more. Amanar + Mustafina vault combo is more difficult IMO than the now-standard Cheng + DTY.

How frequently some of these vaults get skipped in gymnasts’ progression is a sign of how hard it is to control forward layouts. Cheng herself skipped right past the 5-years-in-the-future Mustafina vault, Mustafina herself only managed the vault once, and how many forward-takeoff-and-landing layouts have we ever seen with good form? I think only Maroney and Biles have been able to manage it, and they both still had some major difficulties.

New start value proposal:

Yurchenko layout = 3.9
Yurchenko 1/2 = 4.4
FTY = 4.5
1.5 Yurchenko = 5.0
DTY = 5.3
Amanar = 5.8
3/1 Yurchenko = 6.4

1/2-on front layout or Lopez = 5.1
Mustafina = 5.6
Cheng = 5.8
Biles I = 6.3

Handspring forward layout or 1/2-out = 5.0
Handspring layout 1/1 = 5.5
Handspring Rudi = 5.7
Yeo = 6.2

Tsuk layout = 4.2
Tsuk 1/2 = 4.8
Tsuk 1/1 = 4.9
Tsuk 3/2 = 5.4
Tsuk 2/1 = 5.7
Tsuk 5/2 = 6.2

Note, all Tsuk vaults that use the “Kas” technique (1/4-on to the table and leaving the vault table sideways, instead of a proper 1/2-on entry) should be worth .2 less.

Produnova = 6.3
Biles II = 6.5

Does anyone else have an opinion on which vault program is harder: Amanar + Mustafina vs. Cheng + DTY

Suni Lee’s return probably knocks Zoe Miller’s slim worlds hope down to zero, but here’s Zoe showing a full twisting double layout on floor.
Honestly, I don’t think Suni’s return means Zoe Miller’s chances are zero.
Still room for Miller on the team.

Suni’s return hurts Chiles and maybe even Carey IMO.

If Jones is looking good and Simone makes the team, there is still a spot on bars for TF.
Suni, Shilese, +1 and Zoe would be good for that spot if Simone’s bars aren’t up to TF quality.

Of course you could use Jordan on bars, but all depends on how much of a difference using Jordan over Zoe would be.
Even for team sake Suni, Simone, Shilese all AA and use use Zoe and either Chiles or Carey to fill in VT/BB/FX in TQ.

I still is unlikely that Zoe go for bars alone, but I wouldn’t say it is impossible.

Zoe has a much stronger chance to make the team probability wise than someone like Fatta or Roberson would.
Tiana and Blakely are in the same boat as Zoe in that they are strong on beam and that is another weak area for the US.

I see Blakely getting overlooked as an AAer, too. She’s made improvements on all events, including learning a beautiful Lopez that looks upgradeable. Jones and Chiles are also more similarly matched than Chiles gets credit for, with their AA totals based on best scores per event at Worlds being almost identical. There are so many athletes bunched into this top group that any team selection is going to be wildly debated, but I also don’t see anyone in the top three all-around at Nationals (or at selection camp I guess?) being overlooked for the team, and any of at least 8+ athletes making the AA podium on any given day.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back