Potential upgrades ahead of Worlds

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

But wasn’t the inbar 1.5 already the semenova at this point?
No - Semenova competed this at 2009 Europeans, which wasn’t a competition eligible for getting skills named under the rules at the time. At 2009 Worlds, she switched to a toe-on 1 1/2 which was already in the COP.

Last edited:
they really should go back and name some elements performed at a comp like Euros for their originator since they rules have changed example: the inbar 1.5 would be a Semenova

I think to go with that, teams also can’t use vault to catapult their team score the way they previously could. Not only have the D scores gone down, the E scores are also falling. Like, they used to throw 9.4-9.5 for any rotated Amanar with a hop. Like, Mustafina went 9.375 with the Amanar that tore her ACL. Nabieva’s basically tucked Amanar was going 9.1-9.2 lol.

I miss good Amanars, but I don’t miss when everyone and their mother would just throw it up and hope for the best because of the difficulty advantage. I’m glad the FIG started requiring vaults to be good to be worth doing, even if the people on twitter want everyone to do them in competition, no matter the risks.

I miss good Amanars, but I don’t miss when everyone and their mother would just throw it up and hope for the best because of the difficulty advantage. I’m glad the FIG started requiring vaults to be good to be worth doing, even if the people on twitter want everyone to do them in competition, no matter the risks.
Totally. And we are seeing the fruits of that. I am sure that Jordan and Rebecca would be throwing a (relatively) dodgy Amanar if it was still worth 7 tenths more.

Voinea training a Moors… I fear for her if she tries that on a real floor.

Last edited:
Skinner wasn’t supposed to have functioning knees after some of her skill debuts, so now I don’t know which way is up, I feel like Voinea will just be here for forever. Because what else does Romania have?? I remember thinking similar things about Vanessa Ferrari’s skill selection choices when I was a teenager!!! Like sixteen year old me saw her fall every damn time on that Comaneci and said “oh she’ll never last, burn out is just around the corner”.

To be fair, Ferrari has been hanging on by tape and Ace bandages for the past several years.

Skinner and Raisman must have adamantium skeletons like Wolverine for them to have the gymnastics they did and not suffer injuries that would take them out of competition for any period of time.

Skinner has a better entry into her tumbling skills, even if they looked terrible when she got to them. She traveled across the floor more, whereas Voinea’s very up and down, which does far more damage. I’m pretty sure she’s fully piked on some of her back handsprings going into major skills. That was the biggest difference for me watching Komova and Douglas on floor, for example. One was gliding across the floor and like it was nothing and the other looked like she was gathering all the strength she had to get to her feet by the end of the routine.

Skinner on the whole had decent technique, ie she does the right things at the right time (her Cheng aside). It just always looked awful because her form was so poor

I was watching some youtube clips of gymnasts practicing onto an airbag and it is shocking how bad a double banana looks when you are expecting a double layout. A bit of back arch is better than a slight tuck but the full banana just looks wrong. Skinner’s double double layouts weren’t stretched by any definition but they were reasonable straight.

She was given 6.3 D score, so at least those judges credited the mount combo. If she does her Double-L correctly, it’s a 6.4 routine, very nice. Her dismount really sucked here though and all year she’s been piking down way too much, I hope she can improve that.

Now where is our Clear-hip Nabieva and Clear-hip Nabieva 1/2 on Bars, Sanne?

I would not have credited this particular attempt at the mount combo, but she came really close to keeping it moving. If anyone can make it consistent, it will be Sanne.

She can make the wolf jump 1/1 + flic-flac happen, but the flic-flac mount into the wolf jump 1/1 is dicey. Looks a lot like the free cartwheel + switch leap combos we used to see, none of which got credit. I think her mount was good for the Rio code, but I doubt international judges credit the step into the wolf jump 1/1

Last edited:
The mount + wolf 1/1 already got credited at Euros. It works because there’s no extra knee bend and because these kinds of aerial skills are allowed to swing the free leg forward before being counted as finished.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back