The return of the Amanar

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

We still call her by her full name, Shannon Miller. Usually we just say Olga.. or Nadia.. and of course, Mary Lou. One name and you know the gymnast and the accomplishment. But she’s won more medals than any of them so why aren’t we on a first name basis? Why isn’t it just Shannon on the list?

We still call her by her full name, Shannon Miller. Usually we just say Olga.. or Nadia.. and of course, Mary Lou. One name and you know the gymnast and the accomplishment. But she’s won more medals than any of them so why aren’t we on a first name basis? Why isn’t it just Shannon on the list?
Who says it’s not?

Weren’t Rudi(Rudolph) and Randi along with Arabian, Russian (front), Barani, Cuervo, etc elements from acrobatics/circus elements that carried over to gymnastics nomenclature?

"Baitova" is just unfair anyway. Golea did it at the same meet, same phase, right? AND got a 10.0. Plus, Kolesnikova also did it the previous year when she won Goodwill Games, right?

I think it's okay to use gymnast names for skills with otherwise-long descriptions... Or for skills where the gymnast's name pairs with a special memory or trend.

But I also think it can be a little exclusionary to use gymnast names constantly. People then have to remember all these details, and that's hard even for active gymnasts and coaches.

For that reason, I never say "Dos Santos" and "Memmel". People may not remember those skills, and it's not that hard to say "Arabian double pike" and "double needle spin". I think more people know "Amanar" because it was such a notable thing for a while, but I still write Y2.5 sometimes.

I also think numbering is too hard. "Double layout half" and "triple double work" are easier to process than Biles 1 and 2.

"Baitova" is just unfair anyway. Golea did it at the same meet, same phase, right? AND got a 10.0. Plus, Kolesnikova also did it the previous year when she won Goodwill Games, right?

I think it's okay to use gymnast names for skills with otherwise-long descriptions... Or for skills where the gymnast's name pairs with a special memory or trend.

But I also think it can be a little exclusionary to use gymnast names constantly. People then have to remember all these details, and that's hard even for active gymnasts and coaches.

For that reason, I never say "Dos Santos" and "Memmel". People may not remember those skills, and it's not that hard to say "Arabian double pike" and "double needle spin". I think more people know "Amanar" because it was such a notable thing for a while, but I still write Y2.5 sometimes.

I also think numbering is too hard. "Double layout half" and "triple double work" are easier to process than Biles 1 and 2.

I mostly agree but then what's the point of naming the skill after someone then?
It's easier and makes more sense to say double double

weren’t they retrospectively named? The problem if we go down that road is that it makes a yurchenko full a yurchenko II.

There is a bit of an amusing “thing” almost the ex soviet coaching diaspora. Because the names in English are never how they are pronounced in Slavic languages but when speaking English, you train yourself to use the English way. And yes, everyone feels awkward saying teh-katch-ehff.

Perhaps FIG can give Mostepanova back the move that Onodi stole and got named for herself

Reactions: Bob
weren’t they retrospectively named? The problem if we go down that road is that it makes a yurchenko full a yurchenko II.

There is a bit of an amusing “thing” almost the ex soviet coaching diaspora. Because the names in English are never how they are pronounced in Slavic languages but when speaking English, you train yourself to use the English way. And yes, everyone feels awkward saying teh-katch-ehff.
Should it be Terkatcheff. I've always said Katcheff

Tuh-KAH-chev. that’s the way I hear it here.

I think about this shit a lot and it's just like language: you can create some guidelines but can't really police the outcomes.

• "Biles" is gonna be a victim of both her unparalleled knack for inventing new skills (ambiguity between all the versions) and the difficulty of replicating them which makes using her name unnecessary.
  • Skills that spawn entire categories of other skills or categories of skill (Tsukahara, Yurchenko, Kasmatsu) are going to be shortened to just their defining feature. -- which is why I contend that it's ridiculous and confusing when people inside claim that a Kasamatsu must automatically include a full twist in its calculation.
  • A certain gymnastics vocabulary builds on itself which I find fascinating; a "Stalder Full" sounds perfectly normal to most of us but relies on an understanding of the root 'Stalder'; A "Stalder Tkatchev" also intelligibly describes a skill to most gym fans even though a "Ricna" would also do the same more economically.
  • A 'stalder shaposhnikova' reasonably describes what is more concisely called a 'Chow', but by the way "Chow" is not actually attached to that skill in the code, which makes a reference to a "Chow 1/2" a bit of a misnomer, but certainly less of a mouthful than "Stalder bwd through hstd with flight and ½ turn (180°), to hang on HB " which is how the element is described (also unnamed in the code)

As for the Amanar? I think it's just downright catchy. Easy to remember, not too hard to pronounce, and way more concise than any alternative. I imagine the Andrade might have those same factors working in its favor -- I hope it happens before this olympics ends!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back