Maroney speaks out

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

My impression is that McKayla is rightfully angry at what she experienced, because it didn’t have to be that way.

But.

Where she was given choices, I’m not convinced that she’d have done things differently. 6 vaults to leave the Olympics with 2 guaranteed medals? Very few gymnasts would say so if they thought they could push themselves through.

The issue comes with the environment she was in. There was no advocate for her and no one looking out for her welfare. She had been purposefully isolated from people she trusted and no way of accessing a 2nd opinion from another doctor. It might have been her decision, but it was not one that was made in a supportive or informed context.

Well she was an abused child, on so many levels, with no safe place in her training environment. There is simply no way that you can ask an survivor of abuse this question, because they have simply no way to revisit and reframe their experience safely.

No one would ever choose her experience, no one should have to.

She was totally hung out to dry by USAG, and literally left to be abused. I am horrified by her experience, and know her words will reach into the hearts of other victims.

I sure hope, despite the bitching about Tom, that the current situation for the gymnasts, is a much, much safer one.

Also, Valeri counts double given his eventual ties to USAG and extensive involvement in Nastia’s career. I stood next to that man in the mixed zone the year Nastia won Scam because I was a media volunteer, and he stood there with his arms crossed and a stone cold expression on his face as though he was watching everyone’s moves. Even though all that was happening were some quick media photos of Nastia and Shawn and a few softball questions. Actual media presence in the mixed zone was pretty sparse and a tiny group of child volunteers, maybe 5 little girls, desperately stood by hoping to snag some autographs.

The question obviously should not be asked!

The question obviously should not be asked!
Agree 1000%, and here’s my take on why. We (the audience) ask it perhaps partly out of curiosity, but mainly to make ourselves feel better. If “but it was worth it” is part of the equation, that gives us (the audience) permission to feel at least a little bit better about all the abuse and betrayals.

Frankly, it’s not Maroney’s job to make us feel better. It’s not a useful question for the sake of her own healing, and it’s parasitical to expect her to help with ours.

Well, some people kind of did ask her about it so she’s addressed it. But it’s more like she chose to do what she did. We know it was an unhealthy and uninformed decision, but she thinks that moment was worth it. Did it have to be like that? No.

It’s kind of like Kerri Strug. I don’t think she’d ever say she’d choose not to do it. Those moments defined both of them. But they were unhealthy and unnecessary in the way they came about.

That’s why even though pretty much all outside observers are horrified that this happened, especially to a minor, I don’t think these athletes will ever be far enough removed to objectively look at it.

That does not surprise me. I don’t see Valeri trusting Nassar for a second with treating Nastia’s injuries.
There were also rumors that Valeri didn’t like that Nassar was a DO instead of an MD, and even if he was an MD, Valeri wanted to vet/choose his own doctor for Nastia and not “use” USAG’s staff in most circumstances beyond physical therapy, cool-downs, etc.

I don’t think this was ever confirmed; it was bits and pieces from the Mattie Larson interview with TSL IIRC, and other comments on social media.

Last edited:
I remember that from Mattie Larson’s interview. I also remember Grace McLaughlin saying that Valeri’s group was encouraged to only travel together while seeing Nassar.

Hmm. I’m sure it isn’t productive to read into that but it makes me feel like there were bad vibes about LN.

Interesting!
So Nassar lied to Marta about Maroney’s broken foot to save her and let her compete on the team.
Who would have replaced her? I assume Ebee Price for vault alone. That would have given up a vault medal. Surely Sacramone would have been the better choice for her vault and also because she could perform 2.

Would’ve been tough to use Sacramone since she wasn’t an alternate.

Aly didn’t even vault in TF. Marta didn’t need McKayla. EFs always been secondary for Marta to team and AA

Correct, my response was intended for Sacramone to have been a better choice for alternate based on her two vaults and strong first vault.
Sarah Finnegan was an interesting choice.

I guess Finnegan was the back up for Ross/Weiber/Raisman while Li was the backup for Douglas. It doesn’t seem like they expected Weiber to get killed on connections.

I don’t blame McKayla at all for being angry about people claiming she was forced to compete. Too often, and we get this with Kerri as well, these discussions talk over the athletes and don’t acknowledge their agency at all. In criticising the warped contexts in which the decisions took place, there’s still got to be room for what the athletes say about their experiences to matter.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back