Let's talk about Jordan Chiles

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Well in Doha they had Riley and Morgan who had more artistry and better positions in leaps and spins than Jade, Myk and Jordan. In Stuttgart the judges loved Suni but Eaker got downgraded severely. Of course the issues with Eaker, added to the issues at junior worlds, where the US came 3rd, should have been a wake-up call to Tom … but of course it wasn’t

She earned her spot on the team, but i worried about her consistency from the start. I thought she was proving me so wrong after she pulled it together so well this year, but she fell 4 times (pretty sure) in eight routines.

She did impress me on beam during all of the crazy but then floor….

I think the generous domestic scoring helps absolutely nobody.

Same!! Im a fan of hers but I did expect a bigger difference with the way everyone was talking. So interesting! Her one beam score was way out for sure though.

Yeah, I was disappointed watching US trials because I don’t think there was a single floor routine that was both well-executed and well performed.

And can I just say that I think this year was Simone’s worst floor choreography. I know it was choreographed by someone from Dancing with the Stars but it just did not work for me. I feel like choreographers from other dance styles sometimes don’t get the scale that gymnastics routines need to have – since the floor is pretty big and the audience is usually far away, it just doesn’t look good to have a bunch of small movements like she does before her third pass.

Anybody watch skinners video of making a floor routine? She chose the music, then he immediately started improvising moves and her copying them. Without like, actually listening to the music and choreographing in connection to the beat or anything. Is that how he/they always do it??? I have never, EVER seen people choreograph things apart from the music before, but that would explain SO MUCH

That’s so much yikes for choreographing a floor routine. I always did my own, and that’s not how I did it at all.

I must admit, I got carried away with the USAG overscoring too. I didn’t think that she would be that overcooked on execution in Tokyo - predominantly because I thought that leotard/AlyRaisman bonus would save her. But it is impossible to ignore that Jordan has been “3”-d to death on her turns, leaps and jumps.

On the whole, I must admit the judging at Tokyo has been stellar; and exactly as the Gymnaverse Panel has been scoring the domestic meets all season. Looking over the Gymnaverse panel from Prelims (and my own scores - so far - from TF), they are strikingly similar. Like, always not deviating more than 2 tenths.
Yes, I’d say Raisman was pre-body shape and also managed to get several of her 0.3s down to “plausible deniability 0.1s” come the big dance, but Chiles did not. Chiles’s wolf turns are also 0.3-0.5 apiece, per an FIG brevet. I don’t know if anybody has told the US that the supposed clarification Marta got from the WTC years back stating “all you can lose on a wolf turn is a tenth for balance and precision” or whatever doesn’t apply anymore, if it ever did.

Either way, the panel did a great job, and not much was missed. A couple particulars for Chiles, perhaps, but the lower end of her scores look great. Lots of mid- and high-7s for hit routines. No problem if you were on the higher end; the more input, the better, and if you’re following methodology and acting in good faith, the score you got is the score you got.

Last edited:
Yes, I’d say Raisman was pre-body shape and also managed to get several of her 0.3s down to “plausible deniability 0.1s” come the big dance, but Chiles did not.
Query if the 1,3,5 body shape deduction thing came as a direct result of Raisman.

I subscribed to the FIGs judging platform a few years ago and they crucified Aly’s floor as an example under the 2017-2020 code. 3s everywhere. They even deducted for leg separation in her BHS on her floor dismount.

As someone who doesn’t judge, I found this helpful to “hand out” to people to try to help them understand the E scores. My dad had asked why do they do the wolf turns then. I smiled and said good question.

Oh, good question. I forgot that they used that floor example after Rio.

Body shape seems like only-negative GoE for dance elements that the FIG has capped but then needs to differentiate athletes as a result of said cap. I will say, it’s a forceful position that demands cleanliness and is differentiating athletes, while finally calling the bluff of coaches who want to do a nasty D over a clean C or unimpeachable B.

Last edited:
while finally calling the bluff of coaches who want to do a nasty D over a clean C or unimpeachable B.
The problem is that some gymnasts get the same deduction whether they do a B or a D. So they might as well do the D.

They’re incapable of performing a deduction free B like Nina would.

That’s a problem in itself. The USA needs to start from the bottom up when it comes to dance elements.

Reactions: Bob

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back