Let's talk about Jordan Chiles

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Jordan earned herself some grace in the eyes of all of us this year. The narrative that she finally stopped tanking was a powerful one, and she’s an easy gymnast to get behind in that regard. Maybe that created some blindspots

I had the thought too, that since so much of her confidence was linked to training with Biles, it might have been that much harder when Simone started struggling towards the end of the year. Imagine the compounding effect of becoming a frequent repository for simone; your friend, teammate, and inspiration as she struggles with the weight of the world’s mounting expectations.

It didn’t help that with 4-3-3, you had to rely on all arounders, and A) tom can only reasonably do so much the scores he’s given. Marta had a lot more leeway to use the “the international pen will love her” line. And B) nobody else really stepped up to the plate. You were just forced to take her.

Last edited:
Suni’s:

USA scores:

VT - 9.025
UB - 8.475
BB - 8.3165
FX - 8.304

O’s:

VT - 8.933
UB - 8.6
BB - 7.9665
FX - 7.8995

The biggest judging difference for Jordan seemed to be vault, right?
Vault was the easily predictable one. We already know that the strong DTYs generally get 14.7ish, and that’s been sustained over multiple major competitions. I don’t know if Jordan’s camp or Tom were paying enough attention to be aware of this, but it was the one where it was most clear what was going to happen. Whereas she was getting about 14.9 domestically, so it was only likely to be an 0.2-3 loss. Beam and floor had much more potential to throw up nasty surprises and she must surely have been more concerned about those.

Just to add, I used “best” E scores for Chiles from O’s because using a score with a fall doesn’t seem to help much with comparing domestic vs international scoring. This would show an over score difference of about a point and a half. Domestic scoring may be bad, but a it’s not THAT BAD.

Jordan earned herself some grace in the eyes of all of us this year. The narrative that she finally stopped tanking was a powerful one, and she’s an easy gymnast to get behind in that regard. Maybe that created some blindspots
There is also the question of who else if not her? It’s hard to leave out someone who hit every routine of the season and was consistently scored as the 3rd best AAer in the country, especially when you’d probably be doing it in favour of someone who hadn’t. If things had worked out better for Leanne and/or Morgan, we might have been looking at a very different argument.

Yes, don’t think there is any reasonable argument for her not being on the team. She hit when the team was being picked. If Leanne/Emma/Kayla had hit when it counted, and Jordan’s scores being too high still put her above them, would be a different discussion.

I 100% agree. Chiles HAD to be on the team.

But, I think her routines could have been constructed more favourably for an international judging panel.

I really hope that Brian takes a long hard look at Jade’s beam. It was the one chink in her AA set. The judges LOVED her bars. Her vault and floor D keeps her up there.

But a 7.4 E for a lights out beam set. It’s those jumps! 3 for body shape each time. They simply need to cut 1 or 2 of them out of her routine and her score would go up instead of down.

He seems to be smart so far. Really hope he does. I am no huge Jade fan, but every gymnast should have the chance to perform the routines that give them the highest scoring potential.

Sorry! Taking out day 1 championships it is 7.627.

Last edited:
Well, her floor routines at nationals and trials were also rougher than her qualifiers routine, right? Her Moors was almost stretched and well landed in Tokyo. If Mykayla had done that routine in the US, she’d have gotten an 8.5. So the domestic numbers don’t reflect how much she actually improved (other than her vaults which were worse). So she got better and her scores went down, way down from what she was expecting if she was thinking she would improve on what she got domestically.

Last edited:
Totally. The Tokyo routine is the best she’s shown in all 2021, but is the lowest scoring hit.

So the only issue I sorta kinda have is that the US was not scored with the same pen in Doha and Stuttgart that they are receiving now. Maybe it’s a regression in their skills, but it seems harsher than we have seen in the past. Not having Jesolo as an option this year really screwed them in terms of judging.

How much are each of the girls losing on artistry in both BB and FX? I think once the complete breakdowns are released, it will be very illuminating. Every single one of the US floor routines are terribly choreographed with almost no commitment.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can honestly say that I don’t love a single floor routine from the US women this year. I like Chiles’s floor music because Spider-Man, for example, but the choreography leaves something to be desired. Suni does show elegance, but it still feels missing something. I’m not saying we have to go the Russian route in artistry (although we can learn a lot from their carriage which comes from ballet training), but why isn’t there more inspiration from NCAA?

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back