Upgrades and Submitted Skills spotted in Paris

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Hong Un-Jong also submitted the TTY IIRC.
Did Nabieva as well?

Thanks, a couple of thoughts, when do you think she would do it? To me, the most obvious option would be qualifications because even with the fall, she will still probably make vault finals however, there is a risk of hurting herself.
Do we really think she is going to actually perform it though? Could it be a way to psych out Simone?

I am kind of proud of the FIG because maybe they finally realized that putting a static value on an extra twist really doesn’t reflect the actual difficulty of the skill

With her knees, I imagine if she's going to do it she'd save it for the final when she can presumably know whether she needs that D score boost to contend for gold.

I'm surprised at the 6.0 rating. They are trying to give her a chance to compete with Biles. LOL.

I'm surprised at the 6.0 rating. They are trying to give her a chance to compete with Biles. LOL.
Yeah, not to revive the whole "the judges are out to get Simone" stuff, but her bb dismount gets a smaller than expected rating while Andrade's vault gets a larger than usual bump...hmmm... well either way, it would be hard for Andrade to throw it without being absolutely sure it would get credit and land because a downgrade and form errors resulting could lose the silver and she is likely to make a few finals and a knee blowout might be more risk than it is worth.

That said, if Simone catches her heels and falls or has a lot of steps, a tty might not be needed.

Yeah, not to revive the whole "the judges are out to get Simone" stuff, but her bb dismount gets a smaller than expected rating while Andrade's vault gets a larger than usual bump...hmmm... well either way, it would be hard for Andrade to throw it without being absolutely sure it would get credit and land because a downgrade and form errors resulting could lose the silver and she is likely to make a few finals and a knee blowout might be more risk than it is worth.

That said, if Simone catches her heels and falls or has a lot of steps, a tty might not be needed.
Didn't they go higher than expected for the Biles II vault though? 6.4 instead of 6.2? I agree she got hosed last quad though.

Is there a deadline to submit a new skill?
I haven't seen anything about Lee's Jaeger Full, so I guess we won't see it in Paris.

Yeah, I think Lee has realised it’s not happening this time round if she wants to make EF.
I think even if she submitted it now, she wouldn't perform it until UB finals, and only under specific circumstances (like, knowing she wouldn't have a chance to medal without it).
I think even Andrade doesn't plan to do YTT until vault finals, and again under specific circumstances only.
That's why I was wondering about the deadline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrade changed her first pass on floor to whip-CHUSO which is extremely baller, but also why? One can only assume it's easier for her than doing the whip-dlo as a third pass. She also played around with the full-in beam dismount again (full routine was dbl pike; tried two full-ins separately, one good, one low chest). And a double double bars dismount.

Also, Becky Downie pulled out a 6.8 UB routine. I don't know if that's old news from way this morning for everyone else, but I know I hadn't heard anything about it until five minutes ago.

ETA: Nina Derwael has apparently also upgraded UB from Euros.

Last edited:
Can you do both a whip-Chuso and whip-DLO in the same routine, or does doing a combination once negate the subsequent combination?

Simone is going to have to hit reasonably well to win the AA. This is probably the smallest margin she has ever had to work with. She can't afford any major mistakes except maybe a .8 landing on her vault, and even that is dubious.

I don’t think she can do two whip passes… I would assume she would just be doing a double layout for her third pass still

This is probably the smallest margin she has ever had to work with.

Simone's D score margin in the 2023 AA was actually smaller than the one she has over Rebeca this year, assuming Rebeca does all the upgrades she's shown. The margin is roughly the same if Rebeca also does the TTY.

Simone's D score margin in the 2023 AA was actually smaller than the one she has over Rebeca this year, assuming Rebeca does all the upgrades she's shown. The margin is roughly the same if Rebeca also does the TTY.
Simone’s bump in fx d-score is pretty much cancelled out by the fact that she can’t keep her harder passes controlled most of the time.

I mean, I was talking about the mathematical cushion, not projecting about performance.

That said, her landings have almost unilaterally been more controlled this year than the last time she was doing the triple double and she's even gotten the Biles I+stag regularly which she didn't manage to do even once last year. And it seems weird to decide Simone's floor upgrades are cancelled out by her potential landings, but not Rebeca's when Rebeca also has a history of OOBs and wild landings and hasn't ever even competed her FX upgrade yet.

Simone’s bump in fx d-score is pretty much cancelled out by the fact that she can’t keep her harder passes controlled most of the time.
I don’t think this is true of her 2024 performances. This year the landing deductions have been greatly reduced and sometimes the triple double has 0-.1 in deductions. It isn’t every time but her floor skills are much more under control.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back