Let's talk about Jordan Chiles

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It would be physically impossible for her do some of skills she does, even with her execution, were she unable to achieve the sort of shoulder range to do a bridge.

She’s hamming up for the camera. There’s no possibility that is her bridge. Even if she lacks shoulder flexibility to extend, the way she was acting was as if she had no stomach muscles

I knew a few gymnasts who lost their bridges, or at least their ability to do one without days of back pain, and still managed multiple L10 seasons and had good bhs.

It’s just not worth it for me to do bridges with my back; I do different stretches and activities for shoulder and midback flexibility and movement. I still have plenty of mobility for handsprings.

I do, admittedly, heavily minimize walkovers.

For some reason, I originally read that as Captain Kangaroo and I nodded knowingly, because it made perfect sense.

Last edited:
It’s possible to have different ROM for dynamic vs. passive stretches. A bridge is more passive while a backhandspring is dynamic. Plus, it’s a bit easier to cheat the dynamic stuff by compensating e.g piking down on a backhandspring or undercutting a backhandspring.

I think that camp (as it was done with Marta) would do nothing but totally exhaust the women before the Olympics. Think back to the last several quads and how many injuries were sustained during those camps. Now granted it was like, oh I don’t know, hell on earth, but even the kinder, gentler version may have been too much. Especially when you consider the tight time frame of this season. Honestly I think it might be better to pace the meets a bit more - they were so tightly packed together this year. Start them earlier and spread them out a bit to allow time for recovery and actual training (and maybe camp) between them.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back