Konnor McClain at LSU

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Rumours abound that Konnor has moved to a gym in Vegas
Gym Cats?

It was mentioned on the Gymcastic episode that she was in Vegas, but given that the same episode they forgot that Dawes (not to mention Grossfield and Methany) were three time Olympians, it could very well have been an error. Jessica implied that should Biles make it to a third Olympics, that it would be unprecedented for an American gymnast.

Last edited:
Konnor was born in Vegas, I think maybe her dad was from the area? Potentially she was visiting family and there’s nothing more than that.

On the other hand…my popcorn is ready.

Big Brother Popcorn GIF by Pop TV

I wonder if her parents were working in DC but chose to live in WV for the less expensive housing market. A fair amount of people do that here, but the tradeoff is a 3-4-hour round trip commute. Although now the WV housing market is starting to catch up with NoVA because so many people moved there.

The McClains were living near Charleston, WV, so not the part close to DC. IIRC, they moved to be closer to Konnor’s mom’s family.

I thought she was just transitioning to college but it seems like she wants to keep doing (go back to?) elite…

curious how this will go!

Last edited by a moderator:
McClain is officially out of the US Classic and as a result is officially out of nationals and additionally Worlds.
Although she is a top prospect for the 2024 team, McClain has not competed since winning the 2022 national title last August. She has had two surgeries this year – one to remove a cyst and part of a disk in her lower back and another to remove a metal plate from her right hand. She says both injuries have fully healed, but she is still working to regain her elite skills and will not compete at U.S. Classics or defend her national title at the U.S. Gymnastics Championships in August. Instead, she will begin college classes at LSU on Aug. 21.

Not all comebacks pan out, BUT I think the returning Olympic Champions mean that she is not making the team in 2024. Maybe it is important to her to feel that she tried and maybe she could be an alternate.

Last edited:
Oh right now I think she’s still thinking elite.
What I am saying is that she’s making the gym switch, but I think later this summer she will just decide she is done with elite.

I’ve been wrong before LOL.
Kinda called that, just saying.

Reactions: L_R
Honestly, my suspicion is that it’s just really hard to say you’re no longer pursuing the thing that’s been your dream and life plan since you were five years old. I don’t expect to see her back in elite, and I hope LSU is good for her.

And if I’m wrong, I hope she’s able to do both in safe, healthy, and happy manner.

I imagine it’s incredibly difficult to consider giving up your dream of the Olympics when you were on talk shows at 11 years old being touted as a future Olympic gold medalist. People like to gripe about her social media antics, but I think it’s understandable given she grew up in the age of parents plastering their kids on YouTube for clicks and has experienced numerous setbacks since becoming a senior. Grown adults might not even be able to manage that gracefully, let alone an 18 year old.

There’s always the what-ifs of not giving it your best shot, but the devastation of not realizing the expectations she and others placed on her since she was a tot may end up being worse in the long-run. I hope she can rediscover her love for the sport at LSU.

Last edited:
McClain has battled constant injuries and not to judge, but with the number of gym changes, any consistency with routine construction and coaching feedback was gone.

Cassie Rice is great and Gymcats is know for producing level 10 athletes that go into NCAA and perform well.

Additionally, there might be some trauma that is also in play. She lost her father, which is devastating no matter how old you are but extreme hard as a young adult. She also had issues with her former coaches to the point of making herself vomit before competing.Not to mention the intense pressure that has been on her to be an Olympian since she was a wee little one around 8-9 years old.

Some gymnasts may have the talent but some are not cut out for elite. Sadly it appears to be the case for McClain. At least she was able to make a World championship as an individual in 2021.

I don’t believe it was the case that she made herself vomit. She became so anxious that it would cause her to vomit.

I’m glad she’s going to college, but I’d put money on LSU not working out. I can’t see it being the right fit for her

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back